Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1969 MGB GT Gearbox with overdrive - (NG TD)

It is possible that the cone clutch in the overdrive unit is the problem. When I bought my TF just over three years ago I was unaware of any problem until I tried to reverse up an incline. Hope this proves helpful.

Re: Re: 1969 MGB GT Gearbox with overdrive - (NG TD)

David

Many thanks. That's very interesting. Did the Overdrive continue to function correctly? What did you do to resolve the problem?

Looks like I may need a replacement overdrive unit rathe rthan a gearbox! That's handy as I think I can replace the unit myself without removing the engine & gearbox. After all the recent rainfall and high watertable the Pit has 3 inches of water in it.

Do you think that it's possible that the overdrive unit is causing the problem I have when selecting Reverse gear?

Regards
Mike

Hello Mike,

At the Beaulieu AutoJumble last September I came across Peter Eggington of Overdrive Repair Services (Sheffield).

He was very very helpful and happy to go into detail about a problem with my TA overdrive. Peter knew his OD's for sure, so maybe worth contacting him to confirm if it is the OD unit causing the problem, since they are not cheap to recondition.....and it's very wet just now for swimming in your pit.

tel 0114 248 2632 or info@overdrive-repairs.co.uk

or surf www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk

good luck

Re: Re: 1969 MGB GT Gearbox with overdrive - (NG TD)

David

Many thanks for the information and the phone number.

Regards
Mike

Hi Mike. The overdrive functioned OK and the car reversed properly on a flat surface. This went on for some weeks and I only noticed the problem when I tried to reverse into a relatives driveway which is on an incline of about 10 degrees. I bought my TF from a club member who had taken my MGB in part exchange, and he kindly agreed for me to swap engines and gearbox/overdrive with my old car. Apparently the gearbox in the TF was able to fit an MGA and he thought he could get a good price for it on ebay. Accordingly I didn't strip the overdrive unit, so I never verified the fault, but if it helps I will ask him what, if anything, he found. All the best. David Edwards

Hi again Mike. Sorry but I didn't answer you questions fully. As to whether your problems selecting reverse are down to the overdrive unit, all I can say from my own experience is that a suspect overdrive led to dificulties for me but I cannot recall any problems with reverse gear selection. You may find some useful info on www.mgb-stuff.org.uk. Click on the 'spanners' link at the top of the black panel on the left of the page, and then select gearbox from the options at the top of the page. I have added the web page to my favourites and it has come in very handy on more than one occasion. Good Luck. David Edwards