Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: soft top

Hi Tony.

Welcome, fellow Henley owner!

There is a thread - started by myself - on this very topic around half-way down the second page; "possible hood manufacturer".

I, too, have a Henley - and no top. I came across a supplier of MG (not 'NG'!) TF hoods on Ebay, with their double duck type selling for a very reasonable £225.

A fellow club member, David Edwards, very kindly lent them his NG TF's (not Henley) hood for them to provide estimates of cost. This came back at a slightly disappointing ~£450 which, although probably still pretty good, was obviously more than I'd hoped considering their other prices.

It's likely they could do the same for you (they'd have to start again, taking patterns from your larger hood), so £450 is a starting ballpark figure for you!

I'd also contacted a couple of other companies (found by Googling) and the bottom line is that there are quite a few manufacturers of hoods in this country (the home of the soft-top sports-car after all!), and many will be able to take patterns from your hood and offer quotes. I couldn't proceed with this, though, as I don't have a hood that would provide patterns to start with

What type of screen frame do you have - is it the original 3/4" extruded aluminium type, with an ali panel at the bottom against the scuttle? I have that type of frame at the moment (although not even fitted), but I'm exploring having a more substantial - and attractive - polished ali frame made up instead (quotes at around £70). I don't know how much this would affect how a future 'Henley' hood will fit (I'd always thought I'd have to have one custom made), but I'd certainly consider having a hood made up with yourself - most companies have said that the cost of a new one-of would be higher, so hopefully a min. order of two would help!

I'm at an early stage of recommissioning my Henley (ie: I haven't even started yet...), but would be very interested in keeping in touch with someone in the same 'boat'!

See how you get on with the company I've mentioned, and if you let me know where abouts you live, I'll try and locate other possibilities possibly closer to you.

Best wishes, Donnie.

http://www.aldridge.co.uk/contact.htm

Speak to Simon, mention my name and ask for best price,(cash)
You will have to take you car there, but it is wel worth it if you can, They are THE BEST in the country and have doen several jobs fo a frien of mine and my self.

Re: Re: soft top

Tony, please keep me posted on your plans for this as I'd almost certainly be interested in getting one made up too (as I said before, I don't even have a tatty hood to take patterns off...).

An order for two would probably also help keep costs down.

Cheers.

Without doubt the best way to have a hood made is on the car as a bespoke item. Rather more expensive, but at least you know that it will actually fit. Some of the pre - John Hoyle patterning was pretty suspect, so I would not personally bank on working from a old or borrowed hood as being right.

My own hood was fabricated on the car by Pollyfacto in Hailsham, East Sussex and is excellent. My mohair hood bag was made from a pattern and is wrong at the front and does not fit quite correctly.

Dave

Another thougt to be aware of after reading the messages on windscreens below is that not everyone manages to fit their windscreens in the same place or attain the same rake, which also has implications for the hood!

Re: Re: Re: soft top

Hello Dave.

Many thanks for that - two very good points!

You are undoubtedly right in what you say. I do personally, however, need to be 'sensible' about what I spend on this 'hobby' (what an insult!); my better-half has been very understanding so far (of my NG AND my Marlin...), but would start to give me some seriously evil looks if the hood ends up costing nearly as much as I paid for the car itself.

As well as missing the hood, I also need to make up a hood frame. I would hope that I could fabricate this after obtaining a hood, therefore ensuring that hood tension and fit are made acceptable.

May I ask how much your hood cost you - to see if it's a 'starter'?!

Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: soft top

Hi Donnie
I would only be to pleased to tell you if I could remember. Quite some time ago now!

Dave

Ha ha! Thanks, Dave.

It's definitely worth considering. I'd have to find somewhere a bit closer to home (Devon) tho'...

Cheers.

Hi Donnie
Must be loads of trimmers down your way with all the boats down your part of the world, still guess we need them at the moment!

Re: Re: Re: soft top

Cheers Dave - I'll check the local yellow pages!

Hi Tony.

How are you getting on with your hood?

If you are anywhere near Birmingham, there is a company called Don Hoods who I am assured by one of their on-line agents would be very interested in quoting.

I'm simply not in a position to take this further myself, as I don't have an old hood as a pattern.

If you are interested, the person to contact is the proprietor Mark Siviter on 0121 373 1313 (please mention it was a referral from Ian from 'Carhoods' on Ebay)

Where abouts are you based, Tony?

Regards, Donnie.