Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Disabling the original MGB Dampers

When I build up the suspension on my TF chassis, I'll be using the replacement Spax damper kits. The build manual states that I should use the existing dampers with the valves removed. How do I remove the valves? Presumable I remove the oil and replace the valves? Any advice greatly appreciated..

Mick

Re: Disabling the original MGB Dampers

Hi Mick

If you are only using the car on the road and not for competition, save your money, dont bother with spax.

Thanks Mel, but too late, I already have the spax, worth noting for any future builders though..

Hi Mick

I cannot remember the details but I seem to remember unscrewing the valve retaining plugs from the body of the dampers and removing the valves. If you cannot remove the valves, drain out most of the oil but leave a little for lubrication purposes. I have the Spax dampers and they seem to work well.

Re: Re: Disabling the original MGB Dampers

Yes Spax dampers do work well and if your car is going to be used in anger, they are worth the cost.
But for normal road use, as most NG's are used for, the standard damper do the job fine, now at the rear taming cart springs is another matter.

When my V8 gets back in road trim the Spax wont be fitted (only used on sprints and hill climb).

If u need a set that have not done 150M make me a sensible offer. But dont say I didnt tell you.
....now im feeling sick.....

Thanks guys for all the comments. As I said in my last post I already bought the spax, so I'll be using them. I investigated the originals and found there are two hex nuts on each damper. The small one at the top seems to be a filler and the large one at the bottom is the valve carrier. I removed both and drained out most of the oil then refitted them leaving out the valve from the lower carrier.

Hi Mick, I realise this thread started a long time ago, but I was wondering what your verdict was on your front shock conversion kit. I have just fitted the rear end kit and am over the moon with them, my old kit was monumentally knackered. I am keen on having the same damper characteristics at each of the car and am looking at buying the spax kit for the front. I take it yours is the kit that bolts to the spring pan and has the top adaptor plate and uses the old shock as the top link?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ashley.

Yes that's the one. Unfortunately I can only tell you that it is easy enough to fit. As I am not near to being finished, I can't comment on the performance. I may have an update for you next summer :) I'm sure there are others though who can advise on how well they work.

regards