Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: No SVA test but change of registration number

Hi Mel.

Dunno, exactly. When I explored getting back into the kit-car world a couple of years ago, I looked at the DVLA website to see what the registration system was - I was looking at some part-built kits and wanted to see what the consequences could be. My only previous experience of kit cars was with a Dutton build some 25 years ago...

I remember there was a bit of spiel on the site about them recognising that the 'Q' reg wasn't considered particularly desirable by kit car owners, and they had clearly relaxed the requirements before you'd be forced to have one of them (my Dutton, mentioned above, was given a Q-reg at the time, but would have received an much nicer age-related plate these days.)

When I checked the site again last night - to see if I could help out Hugo - the actual information seems to be the same (although simplified), although the actual layout has changed.

So, it's been like this for at least a couple of years, tho' I suspect a lot longer than that; very possibly it was brought about at the same time as the SVA requirements?

The issue with Hugo's 'historic' status is different, however, and wasn't covered by the page I was looking at.

If someone has an incorrectly-registered kit car - ie: the V5 suggests it's still the 'donor' car - this will likely be picked up when the car is sold, or when the next, computerised, MOT is carried out: the MOT will say it's an 'NG TC', for example, and the V5 will claim it's an MGB - you'll actually find that you cannot buy a tax-disc for it (the P.O. is connected by computer to the DVLA), and the DVLA will be in touch...

(My Pastiche Henley is down on the V5 as a 'Sierra Convertible', but thankfully I have insurance docs from pre-'98 showing it as a 'Henley' - I shouldn't need an SVA test, but will probably be given an age-related plate instead of keeping the Sierra's original one.)

Hi Mel. That's good news! Does that mean you managed to keep its 'historic', tax-free status too?

If so, I wonder if it's because they've tightened up the rules since then, or maybe you just dealt with a more sympathetic individual?

There's hope for Hugo!

Im hoping so Donnie, the car is stored at my mothers, hope to repaint and trim it for the summer.
Nothing on document.
Just as stated.
NG TC V8
First registered 1970

Re: Re: No SVA test but change of registration number

That sounds promising, Mel.

I suspect it's only when DVLA get actively involved (eg: when re-registering incorrect V5s) that they pick up on - and get bolshie about - details such as 'Historic' status.

It's a very welcome bonus (especially as these earlier engines tend to have the highest (most polluting) tax rates!

Good luck!