Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gearbox oil

Hi Hugo,

Dimensions taken from my build manual are :-

Draw a centre line down the gearbox and propshaft tunnel,then draw a parallel line 80mm to the o/s of this, (when you are sat in the"tub"). The centre of the dipstick hole is then 450mm forward of the centre of the gearlever hole.
Always remember though "measure twice, cut once" Also, have a good look to see if this is going to line up first before drilling and adjust if necessary
HTH
Mark.

Re: Re: Gearbox oil

Couple of late tips on this one.

Drill a pilot hole first, just large enough to look through and check you are in the right place.

Before you cut the hole arm your self with a suitable large grommet and then cut the hole to suit your grommet.

Alternatively, cut a suitable aluminium cover plate and screw it in place with some short self tapping screws. Good idea to back it with a rubber or foam seal.

Regards - Dave

Re: Re: Re: Gearbox oil

Thank you Dave, sound advice.
I will go for the aluminium cover option.

Yours,
Hugo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gearbox oil

Thanks to Dave's measurements, I have now found that the grommit was already in place.
However Dipstick is wel and truly seized.
Oh the joys of an old car that has been left outside for several years.