Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Petrol tank

Can any body tell me if the petrol tank used on NGs, is from another car or does it have to be specially made?

Re: Petrol tank

The build instructions for my TA say to use a 'Spridget'( MG Midget / A-H Sprite) or Austin A30 / A35 tank, complete with sender; or to get a specially made one from NG.

Nigel

Re: Re: Petrol tank

I should perhaps have mentioned that the Spridget etc. tanks are only about 5 or 5.5 gallons!

Nigel

Re: Petrol tank

The TF needs a bespoke tank. The now only come stainless steel and are quite expensive, but well made and you can get all of the mounts from Findhorn.Very easy to fit.
Pete

Re: Re: Petrol tank

If you take a look in some of the magazines, a number of companies offer tank fabrication. Don't know about cost, but it may be worth looking at.

Any available A35 (ish) tank is likely to be in pretty poor condition by now and may cause future problems along providing a poor range as noted.

My own TA tank was fabricated in stainless by a local sheet metal fabricators and I used a top mounted combined guage sender unit and pick up from a Fiat, rather than additional pipes or side mounted sender. Although I see no reason that the old sender unit fitting and retaining ring could not be cut out of an old tank and re-used in a bespoke one. Possibly a pick up pipe and filler boss as well. Do wash the old tank out with soapy water first before cutting it up with a grinder!

Re: Re: Re: Petrol tank

Be careful of just washing out tank, its the fumes that are the danger not the liquid. Try flushing out with exhaust fumes for 20 mins!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Petrol tank

If anyone here is really going to start cutting up petrol tanks, please do it with the tank full.

Of water.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Petrol tank

.............but not using a mains electric angle grinder!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Petrol tank

YEAH, why not go the whole hogg and strike up oxy aceteyne!!!!!!