Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Steering Column

The two offset joints in the column fufill the requirement of not transmitting any frontal impact up to the steering wheel. The collapsable requirement is taken care of by the SVA approved boss and steering wheel which should have no holes in the spokes. On a vehicle that requires SVA testing it is difficult to see how it can be done without using the already approved parts.

Re: Steering Column

Research on the web seems to suggest you need either a collapsible column OR a collapsible boss for SVA. Have you looked into the price of a replacement column? I found This site that does collapsible bosses, MG not mentioned but maybe worth a call they retail around £75

After a visit to Europa I found that Mountney do a collapsible boss, their M range. I may have to go for that but I did have my heart set on a particular Moto-Lita wheel, which isn't SVA approved although someone has agreed to lend me their SVA wheel for the test. If I go for a mountey wheel I will need to get an SVA wheel, unless someone has an SVA Mountney wheel they could lend me.

I may be able to make an adapter plate as the outer diameter of the Mountney is about the same as the inner diameter of the Moto-Lita, but I need to make sure that the centre horn all works.

How much easier it would be to get a collapsible column, or Findhorn to charge an affordable price for the collapsible Boss.

Touching wood, I think I have found a solution which may be of interest to others.

I aligned the shaft, got a butane torch on it until very hot and used plumbers solder. It poured through and out the other side. By using a block of wood as a stop underneath I tried again, The solder stayed put, so I doused it with water to set the solder. All seemed ok. (I only did one hole). I then tap the shaft on the garage floor and it didn't collapse, so I lifted it about 2 feet and dropped it on the floor. Eureka it sheared.

All I need to do now is repeat the process and take lots of pictures during the process, and then do it for real. This should satisfy the SVA man.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. (especially Ray Blanks as I think it was he that suggested trying solder!!!)

Pete