Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Starter Motor

Donnie

I am going to have fun this weekend. The bench test method is going to be very convenient. The Motor is all 'cleaned up' and sitting on the bench and I have a power pack with heavy duty leads.

Regards
Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Starter Motor

Hi Mike.

By 'powerpack' do you mean an electric starter booster? I guess this will do the job, but bear in mind that a starter motor will draw (and require) a couple of 100 amps to run properly, and if your unit won't deliver this, it might give you a false idea of the motor's performance. Eg, a normal battery charger won't even begin to move the motor!

The simplest thing to use is a fully-charged battery and jump leads (but keep the ends well apart!)

Good luck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Starter Motor

Donnie

The Power Pack is a powerfull portable battery as sold in Halfords etc. It has delivered sufficient power to start the car in the past.

Pproblem has been solved by replacing the fat bodied Starter motor with a new slimmer version. One of the terminals on the old motor was broken inside the pre-engage solenoid.

I still have an issue with electrics after the engine has been running for a while. But this is a seperate issue and am working my way through the loom to discover what's causing it. A wildly fluctuating Fuel gauge has my full attention at the moment.

Again many thanks for the information.

Regards
Mike

Re: Starter Motor

Hi Mike.

Very pleased to hear it's sorted. It's also good to know the actual cause has been found - nothing worse than 'fixing' something, and not knowing what the problem was in the first place...

There's a thread below started by 'Ned' concerning a 'fuel gauge' problem - erratic reading. Can't add much to it!