Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: 'E' mark on seatbelts.

Hi Mark.

The TF Henley I bought last year came with 3-point Securon Harnesses which I've decided to replace with 'normal' inertia seatbelts for convenience and comfort. Since the car had hardly been used since it was built, I decided to sell these nearly-new belts on Ebay, but someone asked if they had 'E' marks on them - they don't!

My thinking is that these belts could be fitted into any pre-'E' mark car, but could pose problems with the MOT if installed into a post 'E' vehicle - I guess they'd certainly not be SVA compliant! I can't, for the life of me, find out when it became compulsory to have this mark on the belts! I know that MOT stations check the condition and operation of seat belts, but do they check for labels?!

So, not general interest! I've even had a reply from Willans Harnesses, but even they don't know - they suggest I contact the local police station and ask for the traffic manager...

I think I'll call my local MOT station instead!

Re: Re: Re: 'E' mark on seatbelts.

I obtained this from the Department for Transport WebSite for SVA(Page 9 of 33):-
Seat belt anchorages - Vehicle Age 1st July 1991

A Hyperlink to the page in that PDF file:-
http://www.dft.gov.uk/162259/165240/224107/singlevehicleapprovalscheme

Kind regards,
John

Re: Re: Re: Re: 'E' mark on seatbelts.

Thanks for the link, John.

Unfortunately, it doesn't give me the answer I was after - when seat belts had to carry an 'E' mark.

No-one else seems to know either - not even seat belt manufacturers!

I suspect it's only an issue if a car has yet to be SVA tested; SVA requires 'evidence' of conformity. I'm waiting for my local MOT station to get back to me with, hopefully, a definitive answer - they didn't think it was an issue when I spoke to them, but are going to consult their 'book'!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 'E' mark on seatbelts.

Got my answer - it's just not an issue as far as MOTs are concerned - they'll check the mountings, webs, fittings and operation of the belts, but aren't concerned with what's on the 'label'!

Re: 'E' mark on seatbelts.

Neither is Mr SVA man, providing the belts are of similar construction and a min of 33mm wide, again using correct sized fixings 7/16 unf min,and plated to protect against corrosion. He should pass them
ATB
Mark

Blimey - I'm surprised at that, Mark. I thought the SVA man lived on proof and evidence, and he'd much rather look at a label than start to measure web sizes!

Very interesting. Thanks for that.

hi Donnie

Good while since we chatted on the forum,have you finished your rebuild?
See you fitted inertia belts to your Henley,which ones did you use.I see the securon 514/30 is quoted in other posts,and all suggestions seem to put the reel at the top,as mine is behind the rear seat back,that cant work for me.Any advice gratefully received.
ps did you ever replace your hood?