Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gearbox oil change

Dear Ashley,

Is this on a MG B engine?
When I recenlty had the same trouble of getting to the filler, I made up a copper pipe that I then fed in from the Engine compartment
I used a standard 15mm copper pipe of the folowing lengths 6cm 26 cm and 59 cm with the standard 90 degree right angle pipe joints (the solder type)
Good luck

Yours,
Hugo

Re: Re: Gearbox oil change

...and I use a cheap, screw lid oil can that is pump operated by my thumb. Cost about 30 bob at Stoneleigh Kit Car Show. Absolutely no mess ... until the gear box is full - then it dribbles onto the garage floor until I can race underneath and wipe it up.

John.

Re: Gearbox oil change

Yet another alternative is to purchase an oil gun/syringe (e.g. Machine Mart, Sealey, Draper, etc.) for under a tenner. This is very useful for putting oil in (or drawing out from) the gearbox and back axle, etc. and is very easy and controllable to use. Yes, the gearbox oil is 20/50.

Re: Re: Gearbox oil change

Well thanks to all who have made suggestions...it's fascinating to read about other peoples methods of making things easier. I chose the funnel, 3 feet of garden hose (new & clean) and 6 inches of plastic tube to go into the box...only becuase I had the parts. I found that 4.6 pints put the level exactly halfway between min & max, so I left it there.

Thanks again.