Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: On the road again

Having spent last summer mostly rebuilding my Lomax, rather than driving it, I vowed to buy a car which I could concentrate on the driving of. Hence the NG.

However, I seem to have caught the fiddle bug. And I seem to be getting deeper by the minute. Thankfully lack of funds persuaded me out of the V8 upgrade, but I can see my winter tidy up turning into a rolling restoration if I'm not careful!

One major skill I want to develop is paint sraying, so I can do the wings.

Does this count?

Ian

Hi Dave,
Does finishing off that little mod here and there count, because I bet there are just as many of us in that boat as there are building

im still fixing my roof and trying to find a henley badge sorting out the overheating i bet everybody's doing something

Re: Re: On the road again

Mine is a rolling restoration of an NGTCV8.
Hopefully this year a new dash board, fixing the folding screen and if successful getting the wipers to work.
New set of wheels and tyres, the current tyres are starting to crack!
Long term, remounting of the front and rear cycle wings to fit round the tyres better and a respray.
Only problem I have is always preferring to drive it than work on it.

Martin

Re: Re: Re: On the road again

Five years, no six and I'm still improving my TC, one nigleing fault out of the way and you find something else that you lived with now winds you up. When I've got everything right, including cutting a boot she will be re-built complete with respray and fake pattina.

I have one TC that was of the road for many years.
Luckely, I managed to get it registered as a TC!!
I am now driving that, weather permitting and carry on restoration work, particularly the paintwork as this is all chipped, through it having been covered with a tarpaulin for many years.

Apart from that I have a Ital based TF, which was part build. I have stripped this totally to update the chassis for the SVA test and hope to start rebuilding in the spring. Why the interest?
Hugo

Mmmnn...... Fake patina... great stuff and very popular with the American Hot Rod scene at the moment!

Keep up the good work guys, it is always nice to hear about some of the old cars being brought back to life and to learn what you are doing is encouraging to other members who are thinking about buying an old NG in or restoring an existing car.

Best wishes - Dave

Hi, I am rebuilding a NG Henley, almost total rebuild,
all body panels are off,new dashboard is made but not yet fitted,carpets,seats,inner panels still to do. Engine and brakes are now done, next is the re spray (British racing green) I'm trying to find a set of wire wheel trims to finish off the wheels, a set came with the car but no means to fit them on. Im hoping to get the car on the road by the end of this year or by the summer if possible

Do you mean you have a set of wire wheels? Whilst the car has standard hubs?

Re: Re: Re: On the road again

Hi
No, I have a set of wire wheel trims, I think that there is meant to be a threaded tube that fits through the centre of the wheel and a spinner that holds the wire trim on. Ive seen them on a few kit cars and they look quite good. I may be wrong but I think that they were made by Mangel.

I purchased an 1800 TC in June 2007, drove it all summer and decided to install a rover v8. As with all projects it's run away with it's self... I stripped an old range rover classic 3.5 lump in september, rebuilt it by January and dropped it in a couple of weeks ago. I've got a new propshaft in the post and my old bonnets are due back from the fabricators next week with the necessary orifices.. One thing that hasn't been mentioned anywhere regarding this conversion is the extensive modifications that I had to make to the transmission tunnel. I am using an SD1 front cover with P6 water pump, slimline fan (70mm) and Findhorns V8 radiator, despite these space saving components I had to find another 80mm! Does anyone know if the early TC's (mine is pre 1982) are shorter than their successors? I aim to have it on the road for the first week of May, I'm currently ahead of program... doubt it'll stay that way. James