Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Replacement steering rack

Hi Ashley. I didn't build my TF but it came with a build manual. If you think it would be useful I will post it too you and you could copy the bits you need. My phone 01284 788118. All the best David

Re: Replacement steering rack

Hi Ashley.

When I recently replaced the rack on my Marlin, prior to the new rack being fitted I rotated the steering input shaft through full rotations lock-to-lock and counted the exact no. and position of turns involved. I then set it to dead centre (by turning it exactly half these turns!) and placed a paint dot on the shaft and an adjacent one on the rack body.

This way I could guarantee that the rack could be quickly returned to the centre position after fitting, and the track rod ends were screwed on until each wheel was pretty much straight.

Make sure the steering shaft (ie: the actual steering wheel itself) is in the 'straight-ahead' position when you connect it to the rack, and hold it there (possibly with the steering lock) as you finally set the tracking. This way, centre should remain centre