Return to Website

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum

This is the forum area where you can discuss topics related to the Biblical exposure of Greek organizations. All posts are reviewed; if they are offensive they'll be deleted. 

Any copyrighted material contained herein is for: criticism, comments, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. All used in accordance with the Fair Use Exception 17 USC 107. 

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Perfect Letter of Renunciation

What I am about to show everyone is a great letter of renunciation. It will only be a piece of the letter at first. I will have to do about a 5 piece continutaion.

Sample:
This was the e-mail I received from a good friend of mine.

"After burning my materials and God using me to prompt another girl in Zeta to do the same, I have severed my ties to the sorority. Thank God for [overnight shipping] because the sense of urgency I feel in doing this requires that I do whatever it takes, regardless of how late, to get it done! This moment has been a long time coming for me, but for my sister in Christ that renounced Zeta, it only took the power of the Holy Ghost and 1 to 2 hours after a bible study to get rid of her materials. God is so awesome. I praise him and thank Him for a more abundant life as a result of my obedience."

Now the letter:
"As an outstanding leader and forerunner on the campus of [a four year university], I would constantly dream of one day becoming a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. I often reflected on the great leaders history presented who had pioneered the future of politics, community service, law, and social activism. More tangible evidence of leadership included young college women I admired after serving with them on executive boards, community programming committees, and in other community-wide service capacities. The anticipation of possibly becoming a Delta was exciting from the thought of going through the process and connecting with genuine sisters to being an asset to the organization in making an even greater difference in my local, state, national, and global community. However, these were false hopes and my experience along with many other sisters I have encountered in the National Pan-Hellenic Council nationwide can attest to this same reality. This letter of resignation and renouncement of vows from Delta Sigma Theta, Sorority, Inc. provides only a snapshot of my heart decision to sever ties with the organization and anything that is not founded on God’s word.
I knew Jesus Christ long before joining Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., but somehow, I thought I could serve as an agent of change for sisters (aka “sorors”) that did not know the love of Christ or pour out the love I had to help serve my sisters and build a strong bond of sisterhood inspite of the many challenges and obstacles the Chapter faced organizationally and socially at [a university in the bayou]. My efforts were to no avail simply because there was a constant tug of war between my strong relationship with Christ and the expectations of the organization’s ritual and handbook, which I had no knowledge of prior to joining the sorority as I was the first Delta in my family. When I was initiated into the Iota Theta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated, I did not think that my involvement with DST would interfere with the covenant I made with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. The oaths, rituals, and procedures that I went through while in Baton Rouge, Louisiana where my initiation took place, did not glorify Jesus Christ in any manner, but instead opened the door to a long season of much confusion, bitterness, malice, jealousy, envy, hate, and edification of the sorority, including worship of Minerva as a Greek goddess. As a Christian woman of integrity, I was appalled at our reputation on campus as indicated by the numerous fights, level of gossip, and confusion our chapter went through during my process. My anticipation soon dwindled and I wanted nothing more than to spend time “away from the noise” to be with God, my first true love. I came to realize that sisterhood in DST was based on counterfeit friendships and the relationships I built in undergrad and graduate school were genuine, exemplifying a stronger foundation on the love of Jesus Christ."

My thoughts:
All who read this either know soomeone or have been one denounce or forego the pledge process. Do not think that you are alone. Fraternities and sororities are not giving their new members rituals. There is one fraternity that has stopped printing their ritual. So do not think an impact has not been made against the kingdom of darkness, which is what these organizations represent. This ministry, individuals and other groups have made significant inroads to fighting these organizations of lies and injustice, brutality and fear, fornication and adultery, etc., etc. These renunciations are not isolated situations. Christians across the country are saying farewell to their once beloved GLO. ALL OF THEIR LOVE, THEIR PEACE, AND HAPPINESS IS WRAPPED UP IN A SAVIOR THAT DIED FOR THEM.

IF YOU REALLY LOOK AT IT IN A CHRISTIAN VIEWPOINT, THE MEMBERS SHOULD BE THE ONES GETTING HAZED, BEING THE EXAMPLE OF SACRIFICE.

Re: The Perfect Letter of Renunciation

First I want to say that it's about time! Where have you been Hatchett?

Well, Praise God through Jesus Christ that this stronghold within the Black Church is being dismantled moreso every day. I, for one, am a warrior in this cause and want to remind all of you that after denouncing a traditional GLO or "dropping line", that running to a so-called Christian Greek Fraternity/Sorority is not the answer either. It's just an extension of the deception that the enemy has laid to further entrap the Body of Christ. Beloved, I wish that you were not ignorant concerning these matters. In all thy getting, get understanding of the revelated Word of God.
Love Sis. G. Gray former AKA

Re: The Perfect Letter of Renunciation PART 2

"God said in His word that I should have no other gods before me (Exodus 20:3). Did I literally bow down and worship Minerva? No, but I know of some sisters who did. Also, I’ve heard many sisters say, “For the love of Minerva” or “we should make sure that we are not drinking because of our “letters.” What about God, the father of Jesus Christ? Is He not supreme over everything? Should we not consider how we would make Him look if we did certain things that were unpleasant? I had to remind myself constantly that it is not because of Delta, but because I am a child of God that I should not partake in the latter mentioned activities. Now that I am maturing in Christ and choose to seriously base my decisions on the Word of God, I realize that I can no longer be associated with Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. I love and appreciate the sisters I have encountered, but the bottom line resides in the fact that I can not serve God AND the founding principles of Delta Sigma Theta too! The false doctrine based on Greek ideologies, wild parties, drinking, bickering, sexual immorality, and fighting, all contradict the word of God. This letter is not meant to demean, criticize, or condemn anyone, but to highlight the reasons why Christians all across the world have been and will continue renouncing their vows and commitments made to all Greek letter organizations.
What agreement has the temple of God with idols? God states in his word to come out from among them and be separate. He also encourages us not to touch what is unclean, according to 2 Corinthians 6:14-18. This is not an attack on the community programs, but rather a critique of the founding “doctrine” as indicated on the spine of the ritual, which ultimately drives all programming and local chapters that stem from the grand chapter.
The Bible states in I Corinthians 1:22, “For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom.” The Greeks were constantly trying to gain wisdom and become more intellectual. They felt the more they knew, the better they would become as humans. The Greeks thought, to a large degree, that everything could be explained or understood with the rational mind. In my experiences with God, I have come to realize that man will never understand everything and can never rationalize God with a human level of thinking. Greek history correlates a lot with Greek-letter organizations today. Some fraternities and sororities observe Greek gods and goddesses as part of their organizations and emblems. In Delta Sigma Theta, the goddess Minerva, identified with the Greek Athena, is known as the goddess of wisdom. I can no longer refer to her as wisdom, when God almighty is wisdom. I know for a fact, according to God’s word, that me even thinking to acknowledging a god or goddess as wisdom makes the Lord jealous! Wouldn’t God be pleased, if organizations placed the cross of Jesus Christ and His word as the supreme symbol of wisdom on all paraphernalia and only used the Word as a guiding foundation on the truth? See, the difference between Greek-letter organizations and serving other organizations like the NAACP, 100 Black Women, or any other organization is the fact that sacred vows were not made to join them or maintain membership in them. God does not operate according to darkness and secrecy. Rather, He moves on earth and in heaven according to light and complete exposure of darkness to the truth.
The Bible states in I Timothy 1:4, “Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.” The Greek word for fables is “mythos,” which means to deliver by word of mouth or legendary tales. Greek mythology and religion promote useless speculation and questions rather than acceptance of faith in God. The stories of Zeus and other gods and goddesses were written just so people could see how great and wonderful man was and could become. The Greek religion exalted man to the highest and actually placed him on the level of being his own god. These legends and tales of false gods are great to read in Humanities classes, but for a Christian to believe in them is absurd. So, I had to ask myself, “Would God want me to be a part of an organization that is based upon false religion and false hope? Of course not, especially after having read the ritual and observed the expectations of members to sing hymns (like the national hymn) that do not glorify God and recite lines that seem similar to the Word of God, but not actually taken from the original Book of Life."

I have nothing to add to this!!!!

Re: The Perfect Letter of Renunciation PART 3

In becoming a Delta, I had no idea that I would be asked to swear to secrecy about what goes on behind closed doors. For example, the Delta Sigma Theta Initiation Service reads,
President: “You seek of your own free will admission to our Sisterhood and we agree to accept you. You are about to take upon yourselves vows from which you can never be freed. They will follow you to the Final Judgment. I charge you that you approach with serious minds as we do now proceed.”
Candidate: “I, ______, do promise in the presence of the Eternal Spirit of Truth, and these finite witnesses, that I will never reveal in any manner whatsoever, for any purpose whatsoever, any of the secrets, passwords, signs, grips, or other confidences entrusted to my keeping as a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, now at the time of my initiation into the sisterhood, or that hereafter from time to time be so entrusted. I do further solemnly promise that I will dedicate my life to the nine cardinal virtues of Delta Sigma Theta. This pledge is upon my sacred word of honor.”
The latter excerpts, including the swearing and taking oaths are definitely forbidden in the Bible. God’s word says,
“But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God’s throne: Nor by the earth; for it is His footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. Neither shall thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.” (Matthew 5:34-37 KJV; see also James 5:12)
We must understand that Christians should not swear by anything or take oaths because our word should be our word. Anything more than that is considered evil. Understand also that there is a difference between agreeing to tell the truth in a court of law to promising “upon” something. Making vows and promises to God, with your word only, is biblical. However, making vows and promises to an organization, pledging your life and secrecy is not biblical.
Many Christians get confused about being “in the world, but not of the world.” There are situations where Christians and non-Christians must work together, attend school together and live in the same community. However, this is not what is meant by the phrase “being of the world.” When one is of the world, he or she is living by its standards, desiring its trappings and is in close interdependent relationship with non-Christians. Those who join fraternities and sororities are “yoked” to the world through secret societies. As mentioned earlier, when a person works on a job, attends school, or lives in a neighborhood, he does not have to go through an initiation, a ritual, or a pledge period. The Amplified Bible says the following about unequally yoked relationships.
“Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers (do not make mismated alliances with them or come under a different yoke with them, inconsistent with your faith). For what partnership have right living and right standing with God with iniquity and lawlessness? Or how can light have fellowship with darkness? What harmony can there be between Christ and Belial (the devil)? Or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? What agreement (can there be between) a temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God; even as God said, I will dwell in and with and among them and will walk in and with and among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. So, come out from among (unbelievers), and separate (sever) yourselves from them, says the Lord, and touch not (any) unclean thing; then I will receive you kindly and treat you with favor, and I will be a Father to you, and you shall be My sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.” (II Corinthians 6:14-18)
Each time my chapter or any other chapter apart of DST does something ungodly, especially major acts such as fighting and sexual immorality, the other members are automatically partakers in the act and “guilty by association.” Individually, I know who I am in Christ, but because the organization professed to be founded on Christian principles and not actually founded on God’s word, I was deceived into thinking the Lord’s agenda and priorities would be displayed in the hearts of many individuals in our chapter and others I met traveling across the U.S. Amos 3:3 reads, “Can two walk together except they be agreed?” Clearly, I felt like God did not agree with the fruit of the sorority and so, I had to make a godly decision to leave the organization to obtain a more abundant life in Christ.

Re: The Perfect Letter of Renunciation PART 4

Re: The Perfect Letter of Renunciation

As I have contemplated leaving the sorority in the past few years, I’ve heard members wonder why I receive the ritual in a literal manner. The answer is simple. God’s word should be taken seriously and therefore so should the things I involve myself with be taken seriously. My soul is too precious to find out one day that God was not pleased with my allegiance to an organization that altered His holy word. It’s an individual decision between me and God. Knowing that I am not perfect, I would rather strive to be more like Christ (removing everything that could potentially hinder my relationship with God) than to regret not having done so at all when God calls me home.

Finally, notice the following excerpt from The Delta Prayer for memorial services.

“Make us to know the richness of Thy love,
Help us to live as ideal Deltas should
Then when our task on earth, O Lord, is ended
Grant us a home above. O hear our prayer, Father, hear our prayer. Amen.

Chaplain: Our departed sorors have entered into the Haven of Rest in our immortal Omega Omega Chapter. They are at peace. Let us keep our torches burning and keep rendering service while we are yet blessed with life.”

The above prayer assumes that all sorority members will go to heaven. How do we know this for sure? What happens if one of the sorority members does not meet the requirements to go to heaven? It is hypocritical to assume that all dead sorors have entered into a “Haven of Rest.” Furthermore, God does not mention such a “haven of rest” or an “Omega Omega” chapter in His word. Jesus said, “Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 18:3 KJV) This informs me that as Christians, we should constantly seek the wisdom and knowledge of God like children who lack knowledge in order to enter the kingdom of heaven.
In conclusion, I know that the first step in totally renouncing any fraternity or sorority is to write a letter to the national office informing them of my decision to leave the organization. Therefore, this is the purpose of my letter. As stated before, I hold nothing against individuals, but I do find that the organization is in direct conflict with the Word of God. Because of the few points I have outlined throughout this letter, I am requesting that my name be taken off of any and all rosters. If you knew me, you would come to find out that I have a heart for public service, preventing K-12 educational inequities and advancing more effective educational policies, and sharing the Word of God. Therefore, it is not in my character to hold bitterness towards people or organizations. I love serving and see it as the ultimate form of leadership. It has been stated, that “Membership in Delta Sigma Theta is a lifetime commitment.” I beg to differ as God would require that membership in the royal priesthood and body of Christ is a lifetime commitment. “For ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people, that ye should show forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into the marvelous light.” (I Peter 2:9) As witnessed before another sister who renounced her allegiance to a Greek-letter organization, I,_____ , count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Phillipians 3:13-14) I declare, in the name and the blood of Jesus Christ, that I am free from all ties and allegiances to Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Email: glos_havebeenexposed@yahoo.com