Return to Website

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum

This is the forum area where you can discuss topics related to the Biblical exposure of Greek organizations. All posts are reviewed; if they are offensive they'll be deleted. 

Any copyrighted material contained herein is for: criticism, comments, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. All used in accordance with the Fair Use Exception 17 USC 107. 

GLO's Exposed Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Women Leadership

Lately, I have been tackling controversial subject in the Body of Christ, or should I really say, LOCAL CHURCHES where Pastors are OWNERS and OPERATERS.

TITHING AND TONGUES were discussed, now WOMEN LEADERSHIP IN CHURCHES IS NEXT.

I will proceed in the same manner. I will first post my personal findings. I will try to incorporate past influences, which were from the pro and con side of the issue.

Re: Women Leadership

NOT ONE SINGLE WOMAN IN ALL OF SCRIPTURE WAS CHOSEN TO LEAD MEN AND WOMEN. THERE WAS ALWAYS A MAN AT THE HEAD OF A WOMAN.

SPECIFICALLY, when one looks at the New Testament, we see our Savior choosing MEN ONLY. After Jesus' ascension, we see His Apostles choosing MEN ONLY as recognized leaders in Acts 6. During ALL of Paul's missionary journeys, we see him appointing men to lead churches. There is no hint of women leading men and teaching men. One thing that must be remembered is that once scripture closed no further inspiration is necessary or even allowable.

In the whole of scripture we see several women referred to as PROPHETESSES OR WOMEN THAT PROPHESIED.

MIRIAM- Exodus 15
She is called a prophetess.

HULDAH- II Kings 22:14/II Chronicles 34:22

DEBORAH- Judges 4:4
She is called a prophetess

ISAIAH'S WIFE- Isaiah 8:3

JEZEBEL (FALSE) Revelation 2:20/I Kings 16, 18, 19, 21
NOADIAH (FALSE)- Nehemiah 6:14
ANNA- Luke 2:36

PHILIP'S DAUGHTERS- Acts 21:9
They prophesied.

Women- I Corinthians 11
Speaks of women prophesying

The title or function of a prophetess or prophesying means to speak under inspiration, or to predict future events, not to preach, teach, or lead a congregation. There is no indication that the women mentioned in both testaments even prophesied, taught, or spoke in the church/synagogue, or a church/synagogue setting. I have no problem with women speaking a message of divine inspiration then, but this is no longer necessary, as all divine revelation was completed at the close of the New Testament.

There were other women who predicted future events, but not labelled as prophetesses.
Rachel, Elisabeth, and Mary

In looking up the words for prophetess, prophesying, etc., it always had to do with speaking from inspiration, not PREACHING, TEACHING, or implication of some authority over men but simply speaking what God inspired them to say. As far as I can see, the only office, position that men and women shared was Prophet/Prophetess. I do not see any women priests, levites, etc. I do not see a sharing of the title elder, deacon, pastor, bishop, etc.

What I will deal with next is the fact or fallacy of Paul's writings. Either Paul suffered from divinely inspired amnesia, or I Corinthians 14:34-35 and I Timoithy 2:8-14 are completely complementary to one another, and that I Corinthians 14:34-35 was not just some HISTORICAL ANOMALY, but that Paul knew and meant exactly what he wrote.

Words like, shame, keep silence, not permitted unto THEM to speak, are strong words to be used for one problematic church.

ARE WE GOING TO ALLOW THE FEMINIST MOVEMENT TO DESTROY, CHANGE, OR MAKE SCRIPTURE ACCOMODATE IT? I'M NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These scriptures will be the main ones of focus. In my continued study, it will be clear to see that women have infiltrated/intruded in areas where WEAK MEN have allowed them. It will be clear that Paul is not suffering from Divine Amnesia, but that his wording in I Corinthians 14 and I Timothy 2 are clear, strong, and leave no doubts.

Can someone tell me how many times the word PASTOR occurs in the New Testament? How about the Old Testament?

Can anyone name some of the Early Church Mothers????

Acts 21:8-9

8And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him.

9And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy.

1 Corinthians 11

1Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

2Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

3But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

5But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

1 Corinthians 14

34Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Timothy 2

8I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

9In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

11Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

I am following you, Min. H

I have this question for you: what say you about the new trend of husbands and wives co-pastoring churches together?

Most common defense is the Priscilla nd Aquila scenario out of Acts.

Second most common defense to women preachers is Galatians 3:28.

Galatians 3:28
28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

If Galatians 3:28 applies to the pulpit, then it must also be so between husbands and wives. I will explain in greater detail later.

24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

If one wants to make the case for equality of function in Christ, then the homosexual can make the claim for justice of his behavior, though scripture says different. Women were viewed with slave-like status, but in Christ all are equal as individuals, not their roles in society. So the Gentile does not have to be circumcised, the slave is free in Christ, not necessarily free from his slavemaster. The view of women, as people is the subject of judgment, not their roles in Christianity. There are too many other scriptures that give women value and roles, but not leadership roles in the home or church.

Now I will bring other studies of the subject to the table.

Anti-Women Pastor Links and Info
http://www.gotquestions.org/women-pastors.html

http://www.baptist2baptist.net/b2barticle.asp?ID=229

Pro-Women Pastor Links and Info
http://www.circleofchristianwomen.com/women_pastors.htm

http://www.tbm.org/can_women_be_pastors.htm

I noticed a similarity between the to Pro arguments. They also agree on something else

I have not read the others but the gotquestions link was very well written

May I ask a question? What would you say in regards to Mary Magdalene? She's mentioned in the gospel of the NT as being told by Jesus once he had risen from the dead to tell his disciples--and Peter--that He is going before them in Galilee and they shall see Him. Is that considered preaching?

I am really trying to get more into my word and understand it more.

Thank you in Advance

It is a simple reporting of the facts. Not teaching, preaching, or placing them in a leadership role. I do not oppose women preaching, but not teaching men, not as Bishops. I actually believe they play a very important role of when the older women teach the younger women, when they are the depositories of spiritual truth to their children. Why is that not acceptable? Just because culture changes does not mean truth must change along with it.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks and God Bless