Return to Website

PC-Brake Accident Reconstruction Forum

Welcome to the PC-Brake Accident Reconstruction practitioner forum.   Anyone can post a message.  Have a question about a case?  Want to share your ideas to help others?  Perhaps you have a comment?  The PC-Brake Accident Reconstruction practitioner forum is where accident reconstruction is discussed.

PC-Brake Accident Reconstruction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why so few posts?

That is so very true. At one time I had great respect for the CHP's Multidisciplinary Accident Investigation Team (MAIT) division and I thought they did really good work that was exhaustively thorough. They would look at accidents in such detail that they would include reports from nearby NOAA weather stations, 48-hour driver profiles, accurate physical evidence measurements, and the correct (in method and computation) calculations for the subject accident. Unfortunately, it seems that the turnover rate for police officers has taken its toll on the MAIT division. I think that they had some really good people (perhaps an engineer or two?) that set the program up, then retired or got promoted or something like that.

I have been trying to get support for the idea that local agencies consider hiring professional surveyors to document accident scenes. I think they ought to contract some of their more important accident investigations to civilian companies that have the expertise, interest, and experience necessary to fully investigate a crash. It would be much cheaper than training their own people to do it, the field work could be signed by a licensed surveyor or engineer, the data would be reliable, and it would not keep officers tied up recording measurements when they could be out chasing bad guys.

Sadly, it appears to be an exclusive club that only badge-carrying members need apply. It's not that I really want the job, because I don't. I am just getting tired of the poor quality accident reports that seem to continuously land on my desk. I mostly feel incredible empathy for the victims of a car accident (and their families) and I think they deserve much better from their sworn police officers. In my opinion, if the police are going to make it an exclusive club then they better **** well be thorough and accurate. Just my opinion, but it seems pretty reasonable to me.

David

P.S. You would not believe the kind of flak I get for suggesting such blasphemous ideas at IPTM courses!

Re: Why so few posts?

MAYBE BECAUSE PEOPLE HAVE REAL IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO W/TIME?