Welcome to The Rhode Island Paranormal Research Group's Message and Discussion Forum.

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message, ask questions or start a conversation via a post regarding paranormal research, paranormal investigation and paranormal phenomena.  Any and all other comments or subject matter will be deleted without exception.  We ask that since this is a youth accessible forum that no profanity be used here.  Also any content we deem inappropriate, especially material of an "adult" nature, abusive posts or posts perpetrating to be someone else will be deleted. 

All posts are subject to virus and spy-ware scanning before posting is allowed.

Violator's IP Number will be recorded, their post deleted and will ultimately be permanently barred from accessing this web-site. 

We created this forum in the hope it will become a source for knowledge and healthy debate.  Help us maintain our goal and enjoy.  Thank you!

Welcome to The Rhode Island Paranormal Research Group's Message and Discussion Forum.
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "The Gates Of Hell" Exeter, RI

Which direction did you go?

I've heard so many different versions of the Hell's Gate urban legend over the years that its hard to tell what's what anymore. All of them seem to say the place is haunted by something, someone or some thing, but as with Maggie my observations say the place, for lack of a better description, is dead.

I will say that people continue to write us after going there, all claiming to have encountering something that put the scare into them big time. Whether it was Casper, critters or imagination only a lengthily study of the site can answer.

Myself, until proven otherwise, I really think the encounters these are the result of a natural mix of bats, owls and other wildlife, preconceived imagination and a genuine wanting to get spooked.

Andy

So "The Gates of Hell" continue to elude us. It interests me because I have heard about it so often (mostly apocryphal)that I have always assumed there must be something to it, since the story seems to persist. None of the reports here seem to have much in common, though-- mostly " a sense of" a presence. I'm still not 100% sure of its exact location, since even that is in dispute. The expression "urban legend" comes to mind.
However, any place with possible paranormal occurrences is of interest. What I find particularly intriguing is that "The Gates of Hell" never show up in any published volume of legends and ghosts of Rhode Island, and believe me, I have a huge collection which I needed to seriously research topics for graduate courses (just so you know I'm not an obsessive crank).
What's needed is some genuine paranormal research by trained observers with up-to-date technology. As it was rightly observed, the place must belong to some person, and if the exact location were known, plat maps in the town hall would give that info. Then permission to investigate could be given--or refused.
New actual paranormal sites in RI are getting hard to come by.
I wonder, too, if this hasn't become RI's answer to Connecticut's Dudleytown, which has become so notorious and supposedly active that police frequently patrol the area and it has been fenced off to prevent the curious from a dangerous paranormal situation that has supposedly ended in death and/or madness. Wish I knew more about Gates of Hell and could be more helpful.P3PW

For all the different rumors of the gates of hell in West Greenwich , I was the lead investigator in the case back in 1986. There was no old lady that lived there, there was a guy with two dogs (Rottweiler’s) . There was a house and behind house was large barn a pond and a old fire trail road. There was a investigation started about animal abuse after I received information about animal parts being found by property., but then
I received information of a marijuana field in woods off plain rd , while investigating the information I did come across lots of marijuana fields which ended up being on the land of the gates of hell. If you want to know more just ask, plus there were shots fired but there was no big shoot out like some of the rumors that have been stated.