General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: dependent clause

What gives you the idea that a word like "might" could possibly be a dependent clause?

PaulM

Hi!
"Might" is a modal verb. It is not a clause but is part of the only dependent clause the sentence has.

Cecy

Cecilia N.
Hi!
"Might" is a modal verb. It is not a clause but is part of the only dependent clause the sentence has.

Cecy

In my reply (29 Oct), I was trying to elicit from the OP just why they thought that "might" was a dependent clause. Please read previous replies before posting your own.

Thank you.

PaulM

Please, don't asume that I didn't read everything before posting just because what I did was something you didn't like.
Thanks.

Cecy

Cecilia N.
Please, don't asume that I didn't read everything before posting just because what I did was something you didn't like.
Thanks.

Cecy

It's not a question of 'not liking'. I was employing a technique used in teaching to identify what led a learner to a particular possible analysis or conclusion.

If a learner asks if a modal can be a dependent clause, it may indicate a fundamental lack of knowledge about the difference between verbs and clauses. It's important that learners have a good grasp of the basics and hence it's sometimes necessary to identify and correct any weaknesses in their basic knowledge before they move on to more advanced grammar.

PaulM