The Soulpranos Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: CAMP DISCO-TIME FOR A REVIVAL-AND A LIST

Mark i did go there once, but ,mostly went to Global Village, 100 club and Crackers in the early days. Oh and Blues and Soul record shop in Hanway Street.
nb.
An intereseting article by Robert Elms in this months GQ about "Blitz" and "Billys"

Cheers I'll look out for that.
Remember Contempo in Hanway St. but not B and S...

Where U @: Aveley

Was it Norman Scott?,same name as the guy in the infamous Jeremy Thorpe trial.

You know what, it was Norman Scott. I can confirm a trip to the Globe Village with Norm at the wheels of...and a PA by Sylvester. I do believe that was me embracing the moment.

And on which note, Michelle 'Can You Feel It'.

I think I may be doing some archive searching and giving a set at Caister a bit of a twist.

Where U @: deleted

NIK NAME deleted

Hey Mark, you the man. Can't wait for your Caister set now, I'll be up there shaking a leg with the best of em.

Hi Maggot, good call with Global Village (wicked sound system as I recall). Also back in the day does anyone remember the "Sundown" in Charing Cross Road with DJ Gary London ?.

Where U @: Starpoint Radio (www.starpointradio.com)

Look back,Michelle already in the mix[in the mix,in the mix],Mark but i'll raise you "Do you speak French?" by NIGHTSCHOOL.

i remember Sundown, as well as great record shops,
City Sounds, Record Corner in Balham, and the one in Greek Street, Groove records was it ??

OMG I FEEL A LIST COMING ON

Some campness that avoided a mention

Gary's Gang - Keep On Dancin'
Anita Ward - Ring My Bell

Where U @: Harrow

NIK NAME Brian Mac

"DANCE A LITTLE BIT CLOSER"-CHARO & SALSOUL ORCH.

HILLY, I THOUGHT MASCARA AND LIPSTIQUE WERE PRETTY CAMP ALBUMS,MESELF,AND THERE'S BEEN NO MENTION OF DONNA SUMMER.

GP rewind, Auntie Stumps did one Donna track although we could add Spring Affair & maybe CHA galaxy of love

Hi Maggot, the shop in Greek Street was indeed Groove Records. It was run by Chris Palmer (later of Groove Records fame - remember The Scratch, Wikka Rap etc ) and an elderly lady named Jean, who's musical knowledge was very impressive. Martin Collins also worked there for a while

Where U @: www.starpointradio.com

oops,well I will add "TRY ME TRY ME TRY ME" and the "THEME FROM THE DEEP".Though she did lose her camp followers after her homophobic outburst when aids hit New York.

Latimore - Ladies' Man is surely a Light On One's Feet anthem~?

Oh yeah; and The FunkMasters - Its Over....

Here's a few i remember from monday nights at the Lacy,which was our "gay" night. VICKY SUE ROBINSON-DAYLIGHT
VICKY SUE ROBINSON-TURN THE BEAT AROUND
DR.BUZZARDS ORIGINAL SAVANNAH BAND-ILL PLAY THE FOOL
ESTER PHILLIPS-WHAT A DIFFERANCE A DAY MADE
CAROL DOUGLAS-MIDNIGHT LOVE AFFAIR
BARBARA PENNINGTON-24 HOURS A DAY
DONNA SUMMER-COULD IT BE MAGIC
EDDIE DRENNON-LETS DO THE LATIN HUSTLE
EL COCO-THE COCOMOTION

Can remember one Monday night,me and a few friends were outside trying unsuccessfully to get in,the doormen adamant that we couldnt go in.Then a Taxi pulled up and two guys got out,one of them wearing full wedding dress and veil.The way we all stood and stared goggle-eyed probably vindicated the decision not to let us in
Would have enjoyed the music though,judging by that list.

Yeah, I remember that MTheC - I caught the bloody train in the cab door.

So, I wonder, like BC and AD (as opposed, yes, to ACDC!), was there an official time or record when 'gay' disco became (its commercial sista) hi energy?

NIK NAME deleted

After watching you pedal in front of my cab at McD's roundabout coupla weeks ago I can confirm you were probably "lighter on your feet" in those days Mark
While I'm at it,that level of cattiness,they shoulda let me in

Getting out of a cab in a wedding dress is hard enough. You try riding a push bike in one!

I'm like Lance Armstrong meets Miss Haversham.

So, my tragic 'white lace and (broken) promises' problems aside, is there not an interesting learning curve in there for disco?

Would it have gone...

a)there's your Philly and your Salsoul, then

b)there's a gay crowd that adopts it,

c)then there is financial/creative exploitation, leading to the creation of the sound that became the disco genre, while in parallel

d)there emerges genuine 'made for the gay scene' music which was to ultimately adopt (was given?) the handle hi energy.

I must admit I haven't had the slide rule and bunsen burner out on this, so anyone fancy nailing down a time line? And even more fun (if that were possible!)- creating a soundtrack for it.

Right, I'm off to rinse me veil through...its starting to hummm again.

NIK NAME deleted

I remember Sundowners in Charing Cross Road I remember seeing Anita Ward doing a PA when promoting "Ring my Bell" in 79.
Musique.....push,push,IN THE BUSH

Where U @: Crawley

NIK NAME Stacker

Flashback attack, too!

It was Bolts, next to the Astoria where I saw a grey haired DJ fella by the name of Norman Scott bring on the magnificent Sylvester. Who went down

a storm.

NIK NAME deleted

Talking of going down.......

Hows about Marcia Hines Your love still brings me to my knees.

If Shep watched any telly in Oz he might have seen her on Australian Idol.

Whatever happened to daughter Deni?

Spike

As fate would have it...

Tonight, 8.30 on Radio 2, Gloria Gaynor tells the story of
'I Will Survive'.

Ground zero for the genuine gay disco anthem?

NIK NAME deleted

1979 ! ground zero ! I dont think so Mark,there was much campery going on before,at BANG for instance.
Gloria had always played to the "other side" since "Never Can Say Goodbye" first introduced us to the NewYork "sound".It all comes down(oops) to that city and its gay clubs....blimey I often wonder if there was "any one straight in NY" .

Yeah, I get the point but I was thinking more of it as the catalyst for what had gone before and what was then to come.

Follow. What was to follow.

Yes. Follow.

NIK NAME deleted

Ok Here's some real Gay Disco..
Carol Jiano Hit & Run Lover
Patrick Cowley Menergy
Loose Joints Is it all over my face
Sylvester Do you wanna Funk
Air Power Be Yourself
Peech Boys Don't make me wait
Miquel Brown Close to Perfection / So many men so little time
Evelyn Thomas High Energy (From BoysTown to High Energy)
Two Tons of Fun Do you wanna Boogie
& the Last Record ever played at the Saint Donna Summer Last Dance..
Camper than Mark Webster..

Your list is bit late period campery GAH,you've not been reading the thread.We're dealing with that magic period when London boys/girls were in transition from disco to punk,and were in sync with the NYC Shirts,(75,76,77).

Spot on Camp Follower,wasn't it strange that many of the clubs that spun that camp disco also went punk.Even Hilly booked THE CLASH and SUBWAY SECT at the Lacy one night,and all those London Clubs like Chaguaramas went punk.In fact half the bloody punters formed bands!Didn't Markthecabbie buy a guitar?
At the first SEX PISTOLS night at The 100 club most of the audience were from the Lacy. I read all this sh*t in a book last year,called PUNKS.
Now go away before I gob on ya!

Don't know if the last 2 entries have fully grabbed the point either. Surely, this logic says 'list every disco record released during these dates' and, voila, its gay disco.

I mean, be fair, 'Don't Make me Wait', for example, was borne out of the Paradise Garage, so if that don't count!

NIK NAME deleted

1 2 3