The Soulpranos Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Re: Andy Weekes (for those that know him)

Although I did not know Andy - my then-girlfriend-now-wife and I met him at the Washington Soul 24-7 party a couple of years ago along with everyone else for the first time - I liked him; that's it. I don't have any stories about when we were growing up back in London nor did we keep in touch since DC so I have been trying to figure out why his passing has made me so sad and why it has generated so much outpouring of emotion from everyone. Living in the States for the past 11 years, this side of the Brits is seen as highly unusual from here, being stiff upper lip and all that. "Don't be so bloody sensitive, sort yourself out", many Brits would say.

But I think I've figured it out. The music we all love has made us the way we are, we bond instantly with like-minded people, we can listen to a choon on a rainy night and it can bring back vivid memories or create feelings for someone else we care or cared for, the artists we love can sing the words we struggle to say (I remember playing LTD's "Love Ballad" 4 times over to my wife without saying a word), we will make an effort with someone who wants to find an old record and you want them to find it, we travel great distances to be with our new friends because we know we will all get along.

At least, this is how I see it. Since the days of Soul 24-7 (I first listened to Alex James - thanks, Alex!), I have finally entered into a world at 39 I craved when I was young in London and could not find anyone to share it (lazy buggers only wanted to go down to the pub). Now, I have made some great friends whom I know would help me in an instant (and vice versa).

When one of us passes so cruelly, it hurts and we all feel it like a ripple in a pond. It only dies down when the water subsides but we all remember what happened.

I called Andy for the first time a couple of days before he passed and got his answering message. It doesn't matter if he got my message or not, I called because I cared.

I hope his family read this forum and see what an awesome (sorry, Jan, but I am a little Americanized... with a z) group of people Andy knew.

I look forward to good times with good friends.

NIK NAME Denzil

Rest in Peace dear dear Andy Weekes. It was an honor to meet Andy in Washington DC. I'll treasure that memory. Comfort to Andy's family and friends.

Sincerely,
LMBrown

Where U @: Washington, DC USA

NIK NAME DG

Not very good at this sort of thing.

I am a man of few words (Stop laughing)

When we spent time together, you made me smile !
When we spoke, you made me smile !

I liked everything about you my freind !

I will miss you with all my heart !!

Where U @: LEIGHTON BUZZARD

NIK NAME BALOO

It is with a heavy heart that I say goodbye to Andy Weekes and express my deepest sympathy to all of his family and friends. Andy was a very pleasant person to know with a great sense of humor and I know he will be missed by all of us. May God bring each and every one of you comfort in knowing that God loved Andy best.

Sincerely, Catlady

NIK NAME Catlady

Jester, i remember that list of Q&A's from sometime back and also remember larfing hard at Andy's and Bennett's replies!!

I've found myself quite speechless at this news of Andy's passing. I hadn't really spoken with him for so long and now i regret that! The last time being a few months back when he was even contemplating poppin over for a weekender!
ChrisJay and i were at the mercy of his p**s taking humour every monday night via email into the studios of Soul24-7 alongside his partner in comical abuse, Mike Wheeler!! What a larf we had for several years!
Washington is a great memory we all share and i found a couple of pics the other day with him in. Made me chuckle as one is him standing outside with the girls while smokin (as it was banned in the venue). So thats where he was most of the night, hangin with the girls!

Tis true what others have said about Andy offering to hunt down tunes in the bargain bins near where he lived and he did that a few times for me too. :)

God bless Andy Weekes!

Where U @: Home

Through many of your stories posted here, I've come to know Andy more than I did before. I can't begin to imagine the pain some of you feel but remember that you can and will always keep him alive with your vivid memories.

I only met him once and it felt as if I'd known him forever, all my life. I really loved his smile.

When his passing seems unbearably, reach back and remember the 'Good Times' cause that’s what he’d want.

Much Love To You All . . .

Char

We are all flowers in Gods Garden, When he wants one he will pick one, and as he has picked you, your life will still continue to bloom here, amongst your friends and family. Knowing you loved your music, for every track that is played, remember we will be thinking of you. You will never be forgotten.
Andy i never met you but i knew all about you through Mike Wilkinson (Box) and he had always spoken and praised you very highly as he has done with the Barnet Boys...Giles,Barry, Simzy(sorry`bout spelling)and Long Ron. I remember chatting with you online,we got to know one another that way,and getting the EARLY hour phone calls, just to ask Mike what music did he want you to send him. Recieved them all with many thanks. But the one thing i recall is exchanging photos of our Kids, and your son Braeden, and telling me how beautiful our daughter Shaelyn was, and that if any bloke was to hurt her, her Uncle Andy would be over to Australia to sort them out. Well Andy Shes 19 now and they bloody need sortin` out. Andy your life is kept well alive here in Oz, as Mike will continue to speak of you, he hasnt taken the news well and is going to miss u alot. Im not going to say goodbye to you but i will say until tomorrow xxxx AN ANGEL ON EARTH, NOW A GREATER ANGEL IN HEAVEN GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Where U @: Sydney, Australia

I'm a bit late in the game for this, but most will know what a lousy corrispondent I am. I did actually settle down to do this yesterday afternoon, but all of a sudden there was an amazing bolt of lightning and an almighty clap of thunder and I lost concentration. I put it down to either Weeksies last Hurrah, or the fact that having got in upstairs (undoubtably where he's ended up) he had just bumped into that other giant of soul from Soul24-7.com Tony Marsden. Either way the world of soul has lost a very, very good man, and any you cut it, that's sad.
The only bright note I can offer is that, looking down the huuuuge list of names celebraing Weeksies life, they're all names I want to be standing with when push comes to shove. We might not win much, but we'd have a bloody good laugh and be able to listen to some great music on the way down. And that I figure is just about the way and attitude Andy would have wanted.

Where U @: Lost

NIK NAME None Printable

It's hard to begin a message like this because there is always so much you want to say but of course you can't say it to the person you really want to.

I met Weeksey many (many) years ago when I first met Gilo and the other Barnet Lot as we called them.

Weeksey was always larger than life in size as well as character.

Reading Jan's message I agree that whenever he met me he always took the **** out of me too. I suppose that was one of his most endearing qualities.

I was really moved when Steve (Jud, Dug, Gravedigger) told me that Weeksey was dying and was moved to tears when Mandy called me to tell me that he has died.

Being "born again" I pray that I will see Weeksey in Heaven, I suppose he'll take the **** when I get there.

God Bless you Big Man
Keith

The music we grew up with and continue to listen to remains the soundtrack to our lives. The people we spend our lives with and meet along our journeys are like signposts on our own road trips. Weeksey was one of our marker posts in our relationship. As Keith said he was larger than life and it is with tears that I choose to celebrate my memories of Andy. Caister and all of the soul events in the past come flooding back to mind. Especially the time Weeksey helped me drag Keith out of a venue assuming he was ****** when in fact he was ill. Thanks big lad you were that big bro shoulder any girl could lean on. So tonight and this weekend lets raise a glass/can, play some amazing tracks and remember Weeksey. A great big guy. With fondest memories. God bless Mandy.

Where U @: Switzerland

NIK NAME Minister Keith and Rabble Mandy

Have posted up loads of pics for people to remininsce at here:

http://photos.yahoo.com/jan.coulthurst@btopenworld.com

Email me if you have any more you would like me to add.

Hello all its a long absence seeing as so far away but a bunch of the boys came over for a service were having for Andy today!!!
It was good to see them as havent for years but sad as to the circumstances, we went all around Newport beach showing them a few sights as are all leaving tonite!
Andy was a good freind and knew him from a lout teenager as we all were and many a memory sneaking off to the mine and underaged drinking plus Caister and all the fond memories we all share bought together by good music and great people.
He lived just 20 mins from me here and really didnt get to see him as much and the last time I did see him was in November when he visted me at work with his Dad but never let on to anyone as of the real condition he was in!!
I will miss him immensly and its a hard pill to swallow when someone who youve known that long and that well falls.
God speed Andy and keep an eye on us all!!!
We love you man!!!!! and share in the sorrow with all your family
Granty

Where U @: Suvvern California

NIK NAME MR Sweary

Goodbye Andy (Mookie). Thanks for being my friend and all the laughs. Someone on here mentioned the word jovial and it is so fitting. I only remember laughs and smiles from the times I spent with you and was around you. You will be sorely missed by all. I know I will miss you.

Rest in peace my friend.

Strings.

Weeksie, I'm missing you already big guy. We didn't speak that often but I always enjoyed chatting with you when we did and sincerely wish I had gotten to know you so much better. You always put a smile on my face and just everybody else who met you. Reace in peace my brother.

Where U @: New Jersey

Well the funeral went off without a hitch and as Weeksie would have had it remember the first 3 letters in funeral are "FUN" as I had posted a contingent of the boys came out and just got done dropping them off at the airport after their short stint over here.
Many stories and jokes abound and some said in the chappel although I figured I couldnt stand up and say whatever the way it would have been said especially in the chappel but Gilo, Jamsie nad theinfamous Wattie said some great stuff ity was great to see you all as well as Ron & Co but shame about the circumstances!!
Andys brothers sister and family were all ther and happy to see all that attended.
After the service in true Weekes fashion we hit up the British pub down the road and had a bevvy or ten to toast the mooving on of a great Soul.
Thanks for all the tributes and wellwishes and keep him in our hearts and minds forever as Andy truly was a person that was larger than life and would do anything for a mate at the drop of a hat, not to mention well all miss that $hit kicking grin and loud laugh.
God bless mate and try not to get a bad name up there will you!
Grant

Where U @: Suvvern California

NIK NAME MR Sweary

I like most of you who have sent in messages of condolence are still coming to terms with the loss of our great friend and soul brother Andy Weekes. I have known Andy and the rest of the Weekes family for just over thirty years now and have many fond memories and stories to remind me of what a larger than life character he was.
At school Andy was a likeable character and a magnet that attracted people to his warm and very funny personality. After school I attended many concerts where he was there with Graeme selling T shirts and programmes. There were countless gigs I attended were the music was awesome with Andy at the decks (including my own 21st party).
Gilo put it beautifully when he said to me that "the big man has gone on to a better gig". Andy aswell as the rest of us must feel incredibly proud that so many touching and moving sentiments have been posted to this web site alone.
I have been in contact with the family who are all out in the states everyday and they are finding strength and comfort from each other and it was great that Gilo and some of the boys from Barnet were able to fly out last Friday.
My immediate thoughts and prayers are with Andys son Bradon, his parents Charles and Pansy and his brothers and sister.
May God rest your SOUL.
E

Where U @: East Midlands

NIK NAME E

Andy was a good man and made me laugh every time I saw him. I'll miss him.

I see there has been a lot of hits on this tragic subject but out of something bad there usually comes something good!
Incase some people cant place the name and would maybe have only known us as the Barnet louts "Boys" and as eaons have passed since some of these capers I have dug in the volts and miraculously come of with a crap load of photos of certain events!! So once I figure out how to scan them LOOKOUT!!!!
A buch of the people we knew were the Brixton crowd, Ed & Kevin Stokes & Co. The girls from Royston, Braintree and Canvey Island, Grumpy Brown Burger our price Paki Phil Ginger Tim the Dangerous Brothers!! Now Im dredging in the depths of the celler here so am having flashbacks and will keep posting as I remember!
Clubs frequented were anywhere that was good plus all the wherehouse parties!!!
The Gold Mine
Up in the birds nest
Lacy Lady
Zero 6
Pantiles
Royalty /Pink Elephant, southgate and Luton
Royal Oak
Swan & Sugarloaf
The Belverdere etc etc etc

Andy were already missing you mate!! but were spreadding the word lest ye never be forgotten

Where U @: Socal Baby

NIK NAME Lurch, Hell, Fat *******, MR Sweary & anything else thatd stick

There is a wonderful article about Andy in the Irvine World News. If you wish to read the article, click on the following link http://epaper.ocregister.com/Default/Client.asp?enter=true&skin=OCW&Daily=OCWIrvineWorldNews&AW=1142563175421. If this link doesn't work, email me and I will send you a copy of the article.

Where U @: Houston, Texas

I would just like to add a few words about Andy. I played rugby in Barnet with Andy back in the 70´s. I moved to Denmark in 1982 and last saw Andy in 1987 when he came to Copenhagen for a long weekend. The weekend was cut short when Andy said he had to go to Holland to meet a trumpet player...the rest is history.

What can I say about Andy ? The man invented tray bashing (the art of hitting your opponent over the head with a metal bar tray until either your opponent or the bar tray gave up ! He never lost !)

Eating earthworms beside a rugby pitch in Wales ("could do with some salt")
Offering to remove an item of clothing every time he wrongly predicted the outcome of a scrum, an escapade which after 5 minutes resulted in a naked Weeksie and the biggest cheer of the afternoon from the 5000 onlookers in Cardif Arms Park.

His giggeling fits !

Minnie the Moocher !

And no Giles, he didnt fall from a first floor window, he fell from the drainpipe while attemting to reach the first floor window, his fall broken by Simon Goulds washing line.

The world is a sadder place with the mans passing. But we are are all blessed by having known him.

Take care.

NIK NAME Monty

our thoughts are with the family god bless the man roy and dave.m

Where U @: home

Tonight (monday 20thMarch)ON RAMJAMRADIO.COM
Sour Mash Collective Radio Show
Soul **** 'Phisticated 20th Mar 2006
hosted by DaveCee
Including a special tribute to the memory of Andy Weekes plus all the usual features...

2nd hour Reminisce
Tribute to Andy Weekes
Logg Something Else Salsoul 1981
Khemistry Sucker for the Boogie Columbia 1982
Johnny Hammond Tell me what to do Milestone 1975
Rufus & Chaka Khan Sweet Thing MCA 1982
Donell Jones I'll Go (produced by Rahsaan Patterson & Steve Hurley New Line Records 2000
Les McCann Someday we'll meet again Atlantic
ident
The Funk Factory
James Brown Funky Drummer Polydor 1969
Clarence Wheeler & The Enforcers Right on Atlantic 1970
Betty Wright Clean up Woman Alston 1971
Jazz Funk Gems
Olympic Runners No link Heat RCA 1978
Loose End In the Sky (instrumental) Virgin 1981
Ident

Podcast links etc will be on other thread!

Where U @: Home

I spoke with Steve one of Andys brothers and he said the second service went pretty well with a bunch of his co-workers showing up an all.
Word around the campfire is there may be a UK leg of this celebration of Weeksie's life!!
Gilo was mentioning something of the sort so watch this space!!

If I know Weeksie he's all checked in and havin a ball!
Missin ya mate!!

NIK NAME the bleedin obvious

Just to let you know that Andy’s smile reached all the way to Denmark. My friend Anne and I met him in Barnet and had lots of laughs with him and other Barnet people in 1979 and 1980.

Not surprized at all to see how many people adored Andy. A real mensch. Kate

Venlig hilsen/Best regards

Kate Elisabeth Holm-Fjelster

The entire Weekes family would like to say a huge thanks to you all for the wonderful messages.
We are all stunned by how many people knew and loved'Our Andy'
Andy led an extremely busy and full life with no regrets.
We will all miss him, and I doubt he will never let us forget him.
God bless

Where U @: tiscali.co.uk

Just a mention of the posibility of Sat June 10th for THE ANDY WEEKES MEMORIAL SERVICE/FUNCTION over in Barnet ...further details as & when I get them ..so keep your diaries clear ..coz it's gonna be a Roadblock ...& bwoy did that maan have a decent taste in music

Jester.

Diary cleared!

Just confirmed the date Andy's Memorial Service:

SATURDAY JUNE 10TH 2006
2PM SERVICE
ST MARY THE VIRGIN CHURCH
CHURCH HILL ROAD
EAST BARNET, HERTS.

(St Mary's is in Church Hill Road, on top of the hill next to Oak Hill park. It is on the 184 bus route, and the nearest underground station is Arnos Grove (where the 184 bus also stops). The nearest railway station is Oakleigh Park.)

On this day we will be celebrating Andy's life through prayer & music; a chance for some to say a few words if they so wish.
A possible function venue where Andy spent a lot of his time in his youth is unfortunately already booked up so a 'full blown' rave will be held at a different date ..although a gathering of sorts wil be held after the service. I can't say too much at this time through wishes of Andy's family.
Any other details I'll post in due course.

Jester.

Just a gentle reminder that it is THIS Sat 10th June 2006 ...Graham from SeeBees has kindly made up some Memorial T-Shirts which one can donate for Andy's son, Braedon and maybe a designated Cancer charity.
I will be airing part of a 3 hour proposed radio show that Andy sent me back in 2002 which has never seen the light of day until now.

Jester.

Very disappointed that I won't be able to make it over, but I'll be thinking about everyone on Saturday. Please let me know if anyone sets up a fund for Braeden. Take care all.

Where U @: Houston, Texas

NIK NAME Tequila

We said goodbye to a dear friend yesterday, Andy Weekes ..what a wonderful day it turned out to be & what wonderful family & friends Andy has; very special!

In our Hearts Minds & Soul!

Jester.

1 2 3 4