The Soulpranos Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
FROGGY RIP

I have just heard the very sad news that Froggy passed away this morning.

I, as many of you, have grown up listening to the original mix master and this will be a great loss for the Soul scene.

I would like to send out my sincere condolances to Froggy's family.

Froggy - I will truely miss you mate!

Shep & Claire

Re: FROGGY RIP

Sad news indeed.
My heart goes out to his family & loved ones.
He was the original and best Mastermixer. Many have learnt there craft watching Froggy @ what he did best.

I would like to add my sincerest condolances to Froggy's family.

I first saw him at a Purley Alldayer in the seventies, and numerous times in the last 30 years. I was just a plain old punter who loved and still loves the music and scene, but "The Frog" always had time to say a few words to me at Caister.

The world is a sadder place for the loss.

Take care

Where U @: Crawley

NIK NAME Stacker

very gutted today!
Such a shame we have lost a man who inspired many including myself with his love of music and most importantly the art of Dj'ing.
Not afraid to experiment musically and his energy when Djing was infectious and im sure all will remember the first time they heard a frog set.
Always fun to work alongside and always encouraging
Will be missed by many
Andy

Today is a very sad day for me,Froggy was one of my
favourite dj's .i once asked him to play
Jupiter beyond/ The river drive one nite at THE PINK
ELEPHANT SOUTHGATE ,too my amazement it was already
on the decks what a DJ.

PEACE.

Rest in peace mixerman

I'm gutted by this news,froggy was my introduction into the soul scene at the ilford town hall on a monday night,a true pioneer not only with his mixing but also the know how when to drop the big tunes,my thoughts go out to mark(half a lemon)&the rest of his family.

Oh no, this really is devastating news. As most of you know, Froggy and I go back a long long way, having worked together many times and sharing numerous social evenings away from the DJ world.

I haven't spoken to the Frog for a few months (we did that quite often and then would pick back up as if we had only seen each other yesterday) and had no idea that he was ill, so to hear this sad news has just left both me and Tina shell-shocked.

The Frog really has been a true inspiration to most of the DJs and musicians in the dance scene. He was the first person in this country that introduced the media to art of mixing two records together and "the rest as they say is history". There will be lots of musicians in the Brit Funk scene that have him to thank for their success, not to mention the new generation of mixing DJ’s that Froggy paved the way for and that made a much better living out of it than he did.

I certainly admired his professionalism and innovation and will always be grateful to him for choosing me as his longest serving support DJ and for introducing me big time to the Disco music I love, played in the Paradise Garage where Froggy was first inspired by the late great Larry Levan (wow, there’s gonna be a huge party in heaven with those two behind the decks).

He was certainly a character that enjoyed living life to the full and perhaps at times he did it a bit too often for his own good. But when it’s all said and done there was nobody like him on this earth and the world is a sadder place without him. Tina and I will miss him immensely and our condolences go out to his Children (Mark especially, who I know idolised his Dad). R.I.P Froggy my true friend, may the lord bless you and sit you down by his side. All our love forever Eddy & Tina xx

Where U @: www.starpointradio.com

Well, I'm absolutely gutted to hear this news.

He's the man who taught me how to mix and blend records together.

I use to follow him all over the place especially Rappers in Epping Forest where i could stand right next to him and watch him do his stuff.

Last saw him play at Ministry Of Sound in the baby box where he said clearly over the mic " Blimey CJ's put on some weight"....lol.

He has been a massive inspiration to me and to many others.

Froggy....RIP my friend. x

Where U @: London

just a punter, no story to tell, thanks for all the good times. xxx

Have just stumbled on this site for the first time and have read the sad news of froggy,i first heard him spinning back in 75 with his custom matamp sound system,what a nice bloke and inspiration to many, what a great loss to soul music...............

Such sad news, and so many memories, The Royalty, Tottenham, The Greyhound Chadwell Heath, Rappers, Epping Forest Country Club, countless Caister Weekenders and many many more great nights, thanks for all of them all, you were one of the best, It's gonna be some party up there in heaven if you meet up with Larry Levan
RIP Steve you were truly one of the greatest off the cuff mixers of our generation

absolutely gutted to hear of the passing of one of my heroes.. it was listening to Froggy in the late 70s and early 80s that set me on my muscial path. an inspiration to so many.

sincere condolences to his family and friends

r.i.p.

I first heard of the man at Ilford town hall back in the day . i was 16 and not allowed in.
From then on all i heard was Froggy this froggy that , supurb old skool music.
i was 38 when i first met him and all the time i thought he was Black! we had a chuckle about that, im a Dj /Karaoke he fixed my equipment and sorted my sound out(for no cost ) a true old skool gezzer
i only saw him from time to time but when we got together we always had a grin.
My thoughts are with his family especialy his son Mark .
He was the first Dj to mix two tunes together ,
what a party they are having upstairs god bless you Froggy i will miss you,
And thank you for the Choooonz Rest Easy Fella x

I was so gutted yesterday, I didn't know really what to say. I spent meany an hour in Froggy's company as one of his former roadies and friend and I spent many an hour round his house just watching him do his stuff. He was a great inspiration to me and many of us on this scene. Sometimes we wouldn't see eye to eye, but I always respected him.

Froggy was a GENIUS and many top DJs of today owe it all to him.

Shep

I heard the news yesterday & couldn't believe it until I managed to get hold of Shep & Bigger.

A very sad day for soul boy's & girl's everywhere. My deepest sympathy go out to Mark & all the Family.

I, like many others grew up in ore of Steve's talent & although I could never have hoped to reach the standared of the "Maestro", any mix I actually managed to pull off, I have Froggy to thank for. I had the pleasure of working with him live sadly too little, but in later life we worked together at Active FM/Soul City. The Southport Weekender Radio marathons will be an everlasting memory, but the one thing I'll never forget him for was DJing Helen & I's wedding (and he wouldn't take any money). I last spoke to Froggy at Caister a few years ago & I'm glad we had a few beers & a mull over the "good ole days". I feel honoured to be able to say that I knew him & although far from a close one, he was also a freind. For me, like many others, he was a big influence in my life.

Rest in peace Steve, Love Marc & Helen xxx

NIK NAME Marc Collins

i don't know what to say, totally speechless!, RIP froggy, you were a great inspiration to all of us..

chris ejay.

The loss of a legend.Very sad news indeed.

This is very sad and terrible news, Steve was a big part of my life and he will be greatly missed by so many people - so many friends, fans and family who loved him. RIP Steve.

A very sad end to a very sad week.
Not much to add but thanks to Froggy for all the great sets, laughs and memories.
You'll be missed! X

Very sad news indeed, fondest memories were listening to his "JFM Super Mixes" - RIP

NIK NAME Chris Jay

Tonite Froggys Son Mark will be playing what should have been Froggys set ...Mark you are in our thoughts and your Dad will be proud ....Frostie he still at your side hunnie and always will be ...tonite we will be raising a toast to a truly talented pioneer .

Rest in peace Froggy thanks for the music thanks for all you done and thanks for what is still to come and all the fab memories

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

Thanks for the music,the sounds,and the memories.

Where U @: Essex

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7514/froggy4gh8.jpg

Where U @: Essex

Very saddened to hear THE FROG' has passed away, he done so much for the soul music scene, my memories will live on forever, the first to mix, the biggest sound system, radio show's with pete powell, tongy etc, Goldmine, Pink elephant, the list is endless!
Just last week Sunday went to see Froggy & company at Bellini's, said hello, he said he was fine, just five days later, shocked to find he's gone to the big mix desk in the sky with all the other greats! You'll be surely missed, R.I.P

Where U @: Listening to all the tribute shows in ENFIELD

NIK NAME DIESEL

Sad to hear the news about Froggy a good mate from the old days of pirate radio but, have not seen him for years, we worked on several pirate stations together. I have got a lot of fantastic memories when working with him. Froggy inspired me to mix and mastermix and I loved his mixes, such as Heartbeat mix, Love town, Slave mix and much-much more.

My sincerest condolences go out to Froggy's family.

We love you mate from all the gang at talkinews & Chocolate Radio

Tom

We will be paying tribute to froggy by putting up some of his old radio shows from back in the day for download at www.talkinews.com from Monday on wards on the music mix page. (Capital Radio, JFM, Active Radio, Caister Radio)

I got to know the frog well over the past 5 years on a proffesional level and as a friend. The last time he played on JSR was @ our BBQ last summer and had every dj and listener that was here in total silence as we watched him mix one track after another on very basic studio turntables. During mine and frosties radio shows Steve would often join us and frost would pass him tracks to mix that Frostie thought would be impossible to mix but frog would listen and say " your having a ******* laugh " and the put the two miss matched tracks together a pure genious. He will be sadly missed by everyone he touched and the dj's old and new he guided including myself. RIP Steve :cry:
I will be seeing some of you tonight in Canvey.

I remember first hearing the monster system at Brighton all dayer, Froggy along with Sean French, Chris Hill, Robbie, and Chris Brown, GROUNDBREAKING is the word, very sad to hear he s gone

NIK NAME Diggers

For those who didn't know how groundbreaking he was back in the 70's,
Here's part of an interview Froggy gave 3 years ago,one of his last.

Yeah. I went over [to New York] with the Mafia team. Chris Hill, Chris Brown, Sean French, Robbie Vincent, me. I’ve never experienced anything like it in all my life. It changed my life completely. I’d heard all about it, and I’d heard all about mixing techniques. I was always good at mixing, but not in the way they did it. I always had a good idea of beats and how you could weave music in and out. The first day meeting everyone which I found great. Then we got invited to the Paradise Garage. I never knew nothin’ about it. But Chris Hill said to me, when you see it, you’ll understand what I’ve been going on about, because he’d been going on about it for ages. So we left at midnight, we’d all had loads of champagne and everything else. And I’d never seen anything like it. Sound system was the most incredible I’d ever heard. The room was the most electrifyin’ I’d ever been in. The DJ was just… incredible. The tunes he played were quite fantastic. The two stations then were WBLS and WKTU and BLS was linked with Paradise Garage and was much more streety and WKTU was linked to Studio 54. I experienced this whole night, from twelve till seven listening to this jock and the lighting and the sound was just so incredible, I couldn’t believe it. The following evening we went to Studio 54 and experienced the big queue outside and being picked – we had special passes – and also the Richard Long sound system which was the same as the Garage one. The music was much more lighter, but just as entertaining and brilliant. Came back and decided, with all the information I’d got, I spoke to Richard Long quite a lot, who was fascinated by my interest in sound systems, made lots of drawings and notes and came back and got myself in a load of facking debt. I went out and borrowed every penny I could, bought a lorry and built a big system up. Went to see a mate of mine in Southend and he built these big bins for me and I took two guys on full time. We fitted it into the Royalty every week and people used to come for miles. By this time, I’d had my mixer modified and redesigned.

In terms of the sound, what were you using exactly?
When I was over there, I was one of the few people that Richard Long let up to see what was in the Paradise Garage. He used Thorens decks at the time and they were mounted up from a gimbal in the ceiling. When I had a look at one, they were just too slow for the work I was used to. I needed a quicker start. All the DJs who were doing blend mixing were using the Technics 1200 Mk I which to my horror, I brought two back from New York and I just couldn’t work with them. I practised on them for two months, then I went to play up north at the Warehouse

In Leeds?
Yeah, he had guys like Greg Wilson playing up there. When I went up there to play, I fluffed it, couldn’t use them; they were too slow, so I flogged them. Anyway, I went over to New York and I’d heard about a new version of the 1200 that they had out, the Mk2, when I went over and played on them, I did a little guest spot, the deck was quick it had a hi torque motor in it. That changed the whole industry. I bought two back with me.

Walking into the Neptunes venue at Caister for the 1st time hearing the toons put together by some dj called Froggy in a way i'd never heard before. One of the clubbing highlights of my life. He brought great enjoyment to a lot of people for a very long time, one of the best entertainers on our scene. Mortz

The world was a smaller place back in the 70's (no world wide wibe, sky tv...) So the first time we brits heard two tunes beat matched was from the Legend that was FROGGY. I remember coming home after seeing him at the Royalty and trying to mix (I didn't realise you needed pitch control) Later in years I got my own Technics 1200 Mrk2's (and still have them)

Also met Froggy at Caisters etc. always up for a laugh always looked liked he had over done the partying but always acessable.

Loved his Sunday shows on JFM, Caisters & of course Friday Nights at the Royalty all great memories.

Sad news but will remain a tru legend to all 70's Soulboys RIP.

1 2