Return to Website

Motorcycle forum

We are the Lone Star Voyagers a chapter of the American Voyager Association. This open forum is for the members and guest of the LSV-AVA. Please feel free to use this service. Remember this is a family riding chapter.

Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Well, RATS!!!

I picked up the bike yesterday and took it over to my friend. According to the estimate I received from them, they were charging me for a compete new set of carbs ($2600.00) Apparently, they do not believe that an engine with over 100,000 miles should show any wear on the carb body or the sliders. That is their reasoning for the new set of carbs. My friend is going to do a wet/dry compression test on the #2 cylinder (the one with low compression) to see if it is a valve or the rings (I think it is a valve-I have been hearing noises.) I do intend to contact Carl Leo and talk to him. We will see what happens with that. I'll see youall at the HCT (even if I have to ride the Honda!)

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank, Lil'Putt, & the Grey Lady (back in the hospital)

Hank S.
I picked up the bike yesterday and took it over to my friend. According to the estimate I received from them, they were charging me for a compete new set of carbs ($2600.00) Apparently, they do not believe that an engine with over 100,000 miles should show any wear on the carb body or the sliders. That is their reasoning for the new set of carbs. My friend is going to do a wet/dry compression test on the #2 cylinder (the one with low compression) to see if it is a valve or the rings (I think it is a valve-I have been hearing noises.) I do intend to contact Carl Leo and talk to him. We will see what happens with that. I'll see youall at the HCT (even if I have to ride the Honda!)

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank, Lil'Putt, & the Grey Lady (back in the hospital)

The shop is correct that the carb bodies and slides shouldn't show a loot of wear. If the carbs are shot, I'm sure Carl has a good set of used carbs. If you've been hearing a tapping noise, that could be a stuck lifter but that doesn't usually result in low compression.

I don't know if I would trust the shop or the service manager because of their estimate. It sounds like they were trying to sell you another bike or not wanting to work on yours. I agree w/Pathfinder about carbs from Carl Leo. Send yours to him and let him look at them. He would know if they need to be changed.

I don't really have anything to add except by my posting here, it makes this thread one week long!

Hank a reference by PF about your frame lit my idea about my accident. When the bike was here and I was rebuilding it I checked the frame. On the lower right side is a frame piece that is removed so the engine can be removed. I found that that piece was loose. I tightened the bolts after checking the straightness of the frame. I would check the piece on your bike for sure. Carbs can be rebuilt and cleaned cheaply if the jets are not eaten up with the ethanol gas, mine was, and need replacing. Diaphragms also need checking for leaks around the cap sealing area. Use black weather stripping silicone for repairing. I can rebuild the carbs if you cannot find anyone else. I won't charge a arm and leg for the effort. When reinstalling use a hair dryer to soften the boots prior to installation with some silicone grease on the carbs.
My two cents worth. I have been lurking for some time.

Speedball
Glad you are here to keep things going. You are definitely earning your pay. I imagine it makes you feel like you have accomplished something doing this.
And now here we are over a week long for the thread.
Went for a ride Friday to see my brother in Spring Branch. And while I was there had a hamburger at Beefy's On The Green. Was very tasty.
Yall have a great day.

RR