Return to Website

NG Owners Club Forum

Welcome to the NG Owners Club Forum.

This forum is intended for members of the NGOC, if you are not a member
please consider joining  it only costs £15 a year...

The views & comments expressed on this forum are the views and comments of the person that posted them. The NG owners club does not take any responsibility for any views or comments made on the forum. The NG owners club reserves the right to remove any posting from the forum.

NG Owners Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Motor Rail

I stuck fairly close to the speed limits, even in Germany I only bumped it up to 100mph.

I can see your thinking, it is a long way and I think seven days would require a 'push on' attitude, whereas nine days would make it nicer trip.

Malc

Thanks Malc,
I think 100mph is beyond the TA!

You are confirming my view that I need to use the motor rail. Just worried that it will get there but have its roof and windscreen ripped off due to the speed of the train!

Should I put the tonneau on and fold the windscreen down or won't this help?

Cheers
Jeremy

I don't have a TA so I'm not sure how fast the screen and hood will stand, I suppose you could look it the other way around - what's the worst that could happen if you put the screen down and left the hood and tonneau off ?

In my case the answer would be - it would get wet inside.

I'm guessing you already found this http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm

From looking around the site it claims Dusseldorf to Innsbruck is 14 hours on the train, whereas Bing Maps reckon on 446 miles taking 6.25 hours on the road.

Taking averages the car averages 70mph, the train is half that, clearly they don't take the same route, but is does imply the train is going slower than the car, but there are loads of contact details and maps on the site someone must be able to tell you how fast the max speed of the train is - when they do can you post the details - I hand't even considered going by train - it does look more relaxing.

Malc

EDIT - 545.5 euros return even using a DB Autozug special price - that's Dusseldorf to Innsbruck, I'll be driving !

The TA is good for 85mph in bursts but not all day. It cruises at 60-65 mph quite comfortably.

Thanks for the web link looks like it could provide the answers.

As you say the speed might be quite slow so nothing to worry about.

The price might be a stumbling block though quite a bit more than a hotel and a tank of fuel!

Cheers
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

A few years ago I considered this option of motor rail and subsequently found out the service from London was now Calais to Nice (I think) and acquired info from the www however, the front page showed a grey hair old boy like me with a (young) blonde along side him in an open top Saab hence I looked into it. The cost then; 3-4 years ago was £750 return and the £100 (special price they told me) to get to Calais!
The do's and don'ts in the terms and conditions said they don't take open top cars! Um open top Saab on the cover!! plus the £850! hence never took there offer up.

Cheers Mick,

And yes I would like to do the Italian run.