The Soulpranos Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Re: THE SOULPRANOS FILM CLUB

Yeah, nice horse...

Well it is only fair! After all they have "The Craig" in his trunks for the ladies.

For those who have requested another chapter in the Hill story,check out the new book; "HOW VERY INTERESTING-PETER COOK'S UNIVERSE AND ALL THAT SURROUNDS IT" (available from Amazon)and the chapter "MY FAVOURITE EARACHE".It recounts the tale of my months with the great man while filming REVOLVER for A.T.V.and should raise a laugh or two.

Looks like Pierce has laid the ghost of Bond past to rest (The Matador - excellent film by the way) and Mr. Brosnan is starring with Liam Neeson in what could be one of the best westerns in a wee while.
Seraphim Falls, looks from the trailer to be a chase movie with revenge motives. Cinematography is supposed to top draw and i'm sure there's a camera shot framed by a doorway there too...

Back from the annual "FLORIDA FILM FLAM" and here's a few movies to check out(they're all out here too)

BABEL - Film of the year so far.Multi story (ala "CRASH")and multi language with some great performances,particularly the Japanese actress from the director of 21 Grams.This is a must!

BLOOD DIAMOND - DeCaprio's best film (at last!!) A great thriller in the mould of THE CONSTANT GARDENER and HOTEL ROWANDA about thr diamond trade and civil war in SIERRA LEONE in the 90's.

PANS LABYRINTH - Make sure you see this on the BIG screen! Leave all your preconceptions at home and just go with it.......A fantastic triumph!!

VOLVER - Pedro Almodovars best film! And I've told the wife that if Penelope Cruz calls I'm leaving home.She said the same applies to her!However did anybody notice that this is the first Almodovar film without a gay theme in it? Maybe Penelope's straightened him out!!

THE GOOD SHEPHERD - Matt Damon makes good film shock!!!! Based on a true story of a famous C.I.A. officer through the 40's,50s,60s ans 70s and directed by Robert Di Nero this will reward a couple of viewings on DVD because of the complicated plot and time shifts.

and finally.....

DREAMGIRLS - This is NOT the story of the SUPREMES/MOTOWN/BERRY GORDY but a Broadway musical (with crap music) that takes ideas from those aformentioned acts and weaves a silly "bio-pic" that will confuse anybody who doesn't know the real story.
Jamie Foxx is not Berry,Beyonce is a bit like Diana Ross (but she didn't marry Berry) Eddie Murphy starts out as Jackie Wilson but morphs into Marvin Gaye,the stunning Jennifer Hudson is the Florence Ballard(ish) part but with a happy ending(no such thing for the real Florence - who did NOT have a child by Berry)and other characters are an amalgam of different people (Lamont Dozier becomes Leon Ware in one part)
Having said all that its quite good fun with some good performances but wouldn't you really all like to see the full story with the real music?

Chris
You gotta admit that Jennifer Holliday singing And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going from the Broadway musical was good though. Even though the rest of it was as you say (crap music)

I did say she was "stunning".But Bill Conti is no H-D-H,and the songs were the biggest disapointment,except (strangly enough),the Jackson 5 pastiche.

PANS LABYRINTH, what a film.Still showing at the Curzon, Covent Garden.YOU NEED TO SEE THIS FILM.

Where U @: THE LOFT

Well I had the option of taking my pasty little body out into the sun this afternoon but seeing as i'm all excited that "The Bourne Ultimatum" is about to be relased, I thought my saturday would be better spent re-acquainting myself with "Identity" & "Supremacy".
Still surprises me how good the Matt-meister is and those car chases!I don't think the Gatso peeps would let them have that much fun in dear old blighty!
Anyway, cineaste's have already labelled the final part of the trilogy "The b******s"!
So it's seatbelts on, check mirrors and away we go!

Ginger my friend look out for, yours truley in two film's this year.I was on the Taxi rank at Waterloo while they were filming The Bourne Ultimatum so will make a brief appearance!! also I make my first acting role appearance this year ( although very small, as a copper)in Rise Of The Foot Souldier, out mid to late September.I make that bloody Andy Warhole right!!!

Where U @: THE LOFT

Cool!
You know where I am if you need any help writing your Oscar acceptance speech!

Whattup Peeps,
Well with the B.A.F.T.A.S. just finished & the Oscars coming up, I think it's time for Chris to air his views on what he's been watching lately !!

Where U @: Reno, NV

NIK NAME Bri The Funky Pie

Reservoir Dogs ITV2.

Great to revisit a modern classic on ITV2 (of all places)last night.
The debut movie from Quentin Taratino, that was 'influenced' by everything from Joseph's Sargeant's 'The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three' to Lung Fu Fong Wan's 'City On Fire', has a cast that could be the best of their generation. Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, the late Chris Penn and our very own Tim Roth, a narrative structure, as fascinating as Shane Black's 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' and a soundtrack that will leave the audience either sick from a saccharin high or nauseous from ill-fitting scenes of violence.
As a long term QT fan, it's always good to sit back and have a knowing s****** at references to 'True Romances' Alabama Whitman, Marcellus Wallace from the equally impressive 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Natural Born Killers' Seymour Scagnetti,but as a stand-alone piece 'Reservoir Dogs' still fascinates me and as much as the Orson Welles' generation has 'Rosebud' i've still got K. Billy's Super Sounds Of The 70's...

And for those who've seen the Criterion cut of Michael Bay's 'Armageddon' how funny is Lawrence Tiernay's 'I'm ready to go to work'...

...& for those who hav'nt seen it, "Deathproof" is a great return to form ! "Kill Bill" could have been condensed into a decent 3 hour film I thought.

Hi Brian.
I thought 'Death Proof' was flipping great!
Kurt Russell is watchable in anything (even 'Overboard')and Zoe Bell...Phwoar!
Shame the dialogue was a bit one dimensional, but the added lapdance (complete with The Coasters backing) was cool.
Let's hope 'Inglorious *******s' is worth the wait.
Apparently, there is to be a shorter cut of Kill Bill and hopefully a full colour version of the massacre at The House Of Blue Leaves.

I recently caught up with the awful "Four Rooms" - defenitly not his best & the sad thing was I thought Tim Roth, who's usually excellent, was worse than Madonna ! Purely down to the character of course, but there you go.

I've got admit I steered clear of this one, Brian.
I remember the poor reviews and the fact in had Madge in was excuse enough for me...

Teaser trailer for Quantum Of Solace is online and has got me so excited I don't know what to do with myself till November!

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/06/30/quantum-of-solace-teaser-trailer/

Evening gents ,just a few words about the DARK KNIGHT' Movie . THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE SEEN THIS YEAR!! Totally awesome, in your face from the start,in your face! stuff, Heath ledger was amazing, totally lived the part, he truly derserves that OSCAR award next year. The film is non stop, loved every minute, special effects are WOW! Miss this movie at your peril,Raregroover on the soggy south coast ........ ps Michael keaton was the best batman imho

Where U @: southampton

1 2 3 4