The Soulpranos Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Andy Weekes (for those that know him)

Hi,

It is with great sadness that the news i received yesterday from Gilo has just been confirmed as serious as was thought.
Andy or Weeksie as u may have known him, has terminal cancer which is now beyond control and unfortunately has been given a very short time left with us. However the docs cannot say how long i'm sure you'll all agree, it is not long enough and sadly could be any day or week now!

Andy has requested that all his friends know and that they can make contact via Gilo who will be available via his mobile number and email (details below)

Gilo intends to travel to see Andy and if anyone wishes to do the same, contact Gilo again for details.

Please can you forward this information onto anyone that i haven't listed in this email. I may have old addresses here and am missing some others.

Andy is leavin the hospital in the next 24 hours to go home so those with his contact details already may wish to use those...

Giles mobile ; +44 (0) 7766758724
Giles email ; giles.pratt@btconnect.com

regards
Dave

Where U @: Home

Re: Andy Weekes (for those that know him)

Oh no

that is such sad news...i didn't know him that well but on the occasions i did meet him he came across as such a genuine guy

sad news indeed,it brings us all into the real world.i think we should all try a little harder to get on with each other,my wife and i will think of you this weekend.

Where U @: soulvill hq

andy and family, in our thoughts and prayers this weekend.

Where U @: NJ

From everyone at the website,we are thinking of you mate,God bless

Where U @: The Loft

...a true friend who needs your prayers right now.
Would be nice to get the info to Graham @ SeeBees T-Shirts, whom Andy worked with for many years at most W/Enders/Concerts back in the day ..any help appreciated.

Jester.

Just got off the phone to him ..I'm in bits ..a shadow of himself; one word answers etc. ..it's killing me ..but he appreciated the contact.
Fookin' knew me straight away ..I passed on your love ..He's back home now seeing off his last few days with his fam by his side.
So if you're thinking of getting in touch NOW is the time. (Txt me for his mobile # ..mine is 07976 328 812)
I hate this Cancer disease; has taken so many loved ones ..why???
I'm climbing the walls as I type ..he's comfortable; not in pain and will receive the best of care through visits by nurses several times of day. Giles & 5 other close friends will fly out on Friday I wish them well on a journey that I can't take; similar to Gavin's reasons ..but I feel like ****.
I told him that we are praying for him and still spinnin' ..a couple of his favs are Tavares' Positive Forces from their Madame Butterfly LP alongside JR Bailey's version of Love Love Love & a lovely piece of Indie Soul; Ebo's I'd Rather Be By Myself.
The man's got S.O.U.L. & is being taken from us far too soon.
Sorry to the Forum for being morbid ..I have not been in a postion in my life to be losing someone so close before.
Life throws these things at us ..it hurts so much.
I wish you all the best.

Jester.

Jester mate XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Have contacted Graham,who will call you.

Was just checkin too that Dr Bob knows about this as while Andy was in the states he used to listen to Bob on his radio London shows every week!

Yes he does thanx he has Andys email addy

Chris Hill just called to give me this awful news. Am unashamedly sitting here, typing this with tears streaming down my face. I could not begin to describe Andy and the fun he brought to all of us on both sides of our T shirt stall. He was an automatic 'First Choice' to play in my merchandise team.

On one of those tours in Europe with Bobby Womack he met Louise, Bobby's trumpet player. Later he got married to her and I was honoured to be best man at his wedding in Inglewood, California. They got divorced later but he settled down over there and it was always a pleasure when he came back to these shores to meet him, as crazy as ever, with his fantastic memory for all the hilarious scrapes we all managed to get ourselves into in those days.

This news has completely blown me away, going to have to close now and just try to compose myself for the next few hours,days. Andy I love you! You will always, always be on my T shirt stall as far as I'm concerned.....

Grahame Joyce 07956 369999

words fail me

http://www.soulboys.co.uk/gallery/disco3.htm

For those who know him - and for those who have never had the pleasure !!
I havent known Andy for as long as others but during an 'interesting' period in my own life Andy was a good friend and a regular point of contact either via Email, MSN or sometimes telephone. We swapped books (He sent me Chris Browns book and I repaid the compliment by sending him one on Northern Soul !!!) lewd stories and reflections of our personal misdemeanours. Andy also spent his time hunting and sending records back to the UK for those who asked. I cant talk or write about the guy without smiling... he always makes me smile...

I have just spoken to Gilo who is travelling out to see Andy this weekend. If anyone would like to forward a letter, photos, more lewd stories to Andy then Giles will be happy to do so.
(Please email me if you havent got Giles e-mail address)

God bless you Dude !!! maB x

Dad's just told me the really sad news. I remember both my brother and I trying to fight you Andy (we were 7 and 5 at the time) and you were, well, you were Andy and you just kept dumping us in the piles of T-shirts or the big empty cardboard boxes... We were too small to get out! The big man was always a gentle giant with us and I felt on top of the world when you used to sit us on your shoulders - it was so high up! Andy, I'll never forget you and I still laugh every time Dad regales me with one of his 'Mick and Andy' stories even though I've heard them a hundred times. Thinking about you man. Russ x

Russ

That is a wonderful story and realy made me smile. I can just see it !!!

Where U @: LEIGHTON BUZZARD

NIK NAME BALOO

Its those loud shirts and lovely smile that would brighten any room bless him

A TRIBUTE TO MY BEST FRIEND AND A LEGEND

I am writing this in alot of pain and tears, I just received the devastating news from Gilo about Andy, it didnt hit me untill i got off the phone and man did it hit me.Words can not express the emotions and feeling i have.What can i say Andy we grew up together we drank together (and man did we do that well)we fought we danced we chased dodgy old boilers we worked for Graham and Carol we did Caister and all the other weekenders the pubs,clubs and i always knew you had my back. Even if we argued you would slowly start to smile and say something really stupid so we would end up laughing and then go and annoy someone one else.It is a tribute to you as a man and your character that i have read such nice words and Russ i do remeber Andy throwing you and Stevie around.A tribute that some of the crew are flying over on Friday, it is with great sorrow i cant come and visit but Giles and the Barnet crew Know why.I think we could have written a book on some of the adventures we had (well the ones we can remeber)It is nearly 20 years that i took off to Australia and you to America and though we havent had a great deal of contact in recent times you are always in my thoughts all the mad and stupid things we got up to.
my heart goes out to your beautiful son Bradan your Mum,Dad,Brothers,Sister and family in this difficult time. I will phone you asap
I Love you Brother
Mick
xxx

Where U @: Sydney Australia

NIK NAME Box - Mr London- CeeBee Mick ect

Hey good people

Just passing by to say I'm completely shattered over the news about Andy.

Mr Soul Man and I go way, way back, when the Barnet boys used to come along to my gigs and Andy and I have been close eversince.

I'm so cut up about this. So I 'm sorry if I'm not too talkative right now.

He's in my prayers and thoughts 24-7 and hopefully I will call him later today. Thanks for the info Jester.

BTW does anyone know the whereabouts of a guy called Gerry Simms (Simmsy), Andy and Gerry were best of pals in the UK and Gerry used to roadie 4 me, back in the day, but I've lost contact numbers with him. Any help on this would be great.

Best
Dr Bob Jones

Obviously having known Andy for close on for thirty years , having done a paper round with him where he would entice me to buy sweets for him without paying , having once seen him fall from a first floor window ( under the influence of alchohol of course),having seen him having a Sumo Wrestling Contest with one of our mates Underpants up the crease of his **** at Caister in the middle of October !!! I could be here all day and YES you could write a book about him !!

It is very sad to know that the Big Man is not in good shape - He has been a good friend to me and many for a number of years , he has always looked out for me and of Course put me on the path of Righteousness when he introduced me to Soul Music !! Grey and Hanks was the choon and I never looked back.

Some of you might know that me and five close friends are travelling to the States on Friday to try and give him a lift . It's gonna be difficult , but for 'The Big Man ' it was never in doubt that we would mke the trip .

I have been very restless this week and can't really figure things out , Andy's family will take alot of strength from the message and E Mails that have been posted , many from the biggest thing in his life the ,people who shared his Passion for Soul Music .

I cannot think of a life without Andy , the phone calls when Andy rings and Grunts the word Eh !! Whats happening !! His in your face attitude sometimes( he'd never harm a fly !).

A Big Guy , with a Big Heart

I love the Guy

Andy we'll be with you soon

Gilo

xx

Ps Doctor Bob , Simmsy was gonna make the trip with us , but couldn't face it . Remember the Barnet lot getting arrested on the way to Caister 12 ?? If you need Simmsy's no , give me an E Mail.

Where U @: Barnet

NIK NAME Gilo Boy

Some great words from all ..make sure the big fella sees this thread when you go over Giles ..& the e-mails doing the rounds.
Thanks Chris for getting in touch with Graham ..& Graham & Bob lovely to speak with you both even under such sad circumstances.
I'll pop over to yours on Thurs eve before you go G.

Jester.

Just received a call ..won't go into too much details at the moment, but it hurts to bring the sad news that "Weekesie" passed away peacefully a few hours ago (morning LA time) in his sleep with most of his fam around him.
I'll leave it like that for now; details in due course after, I'm sure a time for reflection.

..God Rest you Andy ..you'll be greatly missed

Jester xxx

Sadly,Andy died at 2pm (uk time).

Giles has just phoned me with the news...I was going our old mate tonight, just before the football started. Sadly, I never got the chance.
He's left us for Soul Heaven now. We were all blessed to have known him.

Sad news....Andy.Weeks past away peacefully in his sleep earlier today.... I'm so annoyed with myself, I didn't get a chance to say goodbye.... RIP Big man...... one of the most sincere people on the planet.

I am devastated that we have lost our dear friend Andy. On the other hand, I'm at peace knowing that he is no longer suffering from the cancer that took over his body, but not his mind and spirit. While I've only known Andy for 4 years, I feel like he is a life-long friend. I first met Andy at the Soul24-7 party in Washington D.C. I'll never forget it. At breakfast, I was licking my wounds from the ravages of the Tequila that I overserved myself the night before. Then I met Andy and, within a short time, I was laughing so much that I completely forgot about how badly I felt. Since then, Andy and I became good friends, frequently talking or emailing about soul music, football or whatever was on our minds. Several times, I called him to ask about a song and, shortly afterward, that song would just arrive in the mail. He had gone to the trouble to find a copy of it, knowing I would enjoy it. He was just that kind of guy, always doing something kind for other people, not expecting anything in return. His jovial personality, big smile and even bigger heart were like a magnet, attracting people to him. No matter how short the time I knew Weekesie, I will be forever grateful for the time that he and I were friends. I will miss him dearly, but he will always be in my heart. God rest your soul, Andy.

Where U @: Houston, Texas

Re: Andy Weekes

Am not really into the eulogising thing - especially in this case cos I think if heaven was on broadband, Andy would be up there typing a response which would read along the lines of "WTF???!!! You brits love your drama" At least I hope that's what he would say. That was pretty much the spirit of the conversation when I called him on Sunday.

That said, I wanted to respond cos it helps us and I hope that Andy's family might see how many people's lives he's touched. So I thought I would share a few memories from the three or so short years I have known him.

First off, I have to say whilst I love him dearly, he was one of the most annoying people I have ever met in my life. I don't think anyone has ever taken the **** out of me as relentlessly as he did, especially for being a northerner, but generally every time I opened my mouth or sent him an email, a torrent of abuse would ensue. It was fab and funny and it made his "don't take yourself or life too seriously" approach infectious.

You could rely on him to take ages to do anything. A while ago I was trying to get hold of a choon and my heart sank when his name popped up in my inbox saying he had it on vinyl and he would burn it onto a CD for me. He did do it in the end but it was a long wait and I had totake more abuse: "Hey oddJob, did you get them cd's I sent? I hope so as me ears were getting hot from the crap you were saying about me!"

He was getting a bit too Americanised for my liking so I have tried over the years to keep him up to speed with good old blighty and a bit of northern humour by sending him comedy DVDs like the Royle Family and Peter Kay. We spent a lot of childish moments reciting Peter Kay's entire act and the vision of Weeksie saying "Rola Cola" a la Yorkshire accent and putting two fingers up at me but pretending to rub his cheek with them will stay with me for a long time.

When we were in Houston at Wheeler's I had a great opportunity for revenge when we went to watch the Texans. me and Weeksie sat together on our own and I spent the whole time whinging about not understanding the rules and why did they keep stopping etc etc and English football is a lot better. he did his best to explain it but I still don't get it - sorry mate.

Finally - I have never heard anyone snore as loud as that in my life. it wasn't natural(I would point out that I only know this because I was in a room next to him). Not sure if it ever ended up in the Guiness Book of Records but it should have done - it was off the Richter scale. I pity anyone who ever shared a room with him at a weekender.

OK - despite my opening line I am going on a lot I realise. I could go on for a lot longer cos all of those things made him who he was to me and I loved him for every one of them. He always brought a smile to my face even at my lowest moments and that's true right up to the end, even if the smiles are diluted with loads of tears. Glad I met him and devastated that I won't ever see him again.

J
xxx

Truly heartfelt guys ..great memories!
Just been looking aroung my pootah and found this reply from Andy on a 'round-robin' e-mail from Feb '05.
Gives you the idea of the sense of humour Andy had.

1. WHAT IS YOUR FULL NAME? Charles Andrew Weekes
2. WHAT COLOR PANTS ARE YOU WEARING? Pants? I wear shorts everyday
3. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? New Al Green CD, "Everything's OK" Thanks for sending it Jester
4. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE: Chicken wrap sandwich
5. DO YOU WISH ON STARS? WTF?
6. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHICH COLOR WOULD YOU BE? LMFAO
7. HOW IS THE WEATHER RIGHT NOW? Still fooookin raining
8. LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? My baseball rep
9. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON THAT SENT THIS TO YOU? Yeah, he’s a good dude!
10. HOW ARE YOU TODAY? If I were any better I would be twins
11. FAVORITE DRINK? Duh anything containing alcohol, not too keen on gin!!
12. FAVORITE MOVIE? The Shawshank Redemption
13. FAVORITE SPORT? Football (American) love the Chargers
14. HAIR COLOR? When I have any it’s black/grey/white
15. EYE COLOR? Brown
16. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? Sometimes
17. SIBLINGS? 4 brothers 1 Sister ( parents had no tv in the 60’s!
18. FAVORITE MONTH? December
20. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? White Chick’s It is terrible before that Ray and that was fantastic
21. FAVORITE DAY OF THE YEAR? February 1st
22. WHAT DO YOU DO TO VENT ANGER ? Cuss a foookin lot
23. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TOY AS A CHILD? Scaletrix
24. SUMMER OR WINTER? Summer
25. HUGS OR KISSES? Kisses
26. CHOCOLATE OR VANILLA? Vanilla
27. DO YOU WANT YOUR FRIENDS TO EMAIL YOU BACK? Yes
28. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Wheeler
29. WHO IS LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Foookin' Jester
30. LIVING ARRANGEMENTS? In a three bedroom condo with Braeden (son)
31. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? Don’t remember
32. WHAT IS UNDER YOUR BED? Alot of dust
33. WHO IS THE FRIEND YOU'VE HAD THE LONGEST? Dave (1974)
34. WHAT DID YOU DO LAST NIGHT? Made a cd for Braeden with his favorite songs by artists such as Oscar Brown Jr, Gil Scott Heron and Earl Grant.
35. FAVORITE SMELLS? Freshly baked bread
36. WHAT INSPIRES YOU? My friends
37. WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF? snakes
38. PLAIN, BUTTERED OR SALTED POPCORN? Salted
39. FAVORITE CAR? Suburban
40. FAVORITE FLOWER? Are you foookin kidding?`
41. NUMBER OF KEYS ON YOUR KEY RING? 23 need them for work
42. CAN YOU JUGGLE? sometimes
43. FAVORITE DAY OF THE WEEK? Friday
44. WHAT DID YOU DO ON YOUR LAST BIRTHDAY? Chilled at home, watched a movie and drank some beer
46. WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES? Music, travel, family/friends,drinking
47. MOUNTAINS OR BEACHES? Hate both of them
48. FAVORITE TV SHOWS? Two & A Half Men; Everybody loves Raymond, Jeopardy,Scubs
49. FAVORITE JOKE: George Bush

1 2 3 4