Student-to-Student Message Board

This is a message board for the sole use of registered students of the Midwest School of Herbal Studies. As an MWSHS student, do you: Want to find a "study buddy"? Share an herbal healing experience? Ask other students how to make a certain herbal preparation or for their insight on the particulars of a difficult herbal-healing case that you are handling? Then, feel free to submit a post!

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
I am a new student looking for a study partner
Hello! I am interested in finding someone to possibly study with. I've just started this program. Is anyone looking for a study buddy?
Views: 254   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 13, 2021 7:15am
by Kristi
t
Tim
Herbs safe for children (particularly toddlers) and advice on a good naturopathic doctor
My 2yr old nephew has a degenerative disorder. We have not been able to find the root cause, although the timing indicates that it started after having had his immunizations followed by getting the flu and subsequent treatment with tamaflu. He had been developing n...
Views: 437   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 19, 2018 3:36am
by Bonnie Garoutte
tylophora asthmatica tincture
I am having trouble finding this herb in tincture form if anyone can help me source it I would appreciate it in the herbal course it says its available in tincture form in USA I cant locate it online though Thanks
Views: 292   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 19, 2017 1:51pm
by Joseph F
Foxfire
Are there any known uses for Foxfire? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxfire While burning old, rotting oak trees, we found that the wood glows in the dark. Should I be saving the glowing wood to use for something?
Views: 350   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 24, 2016 7:26am
by Diane K
b
Bonnie
internal formula for mosquito repellent
Does anyone know internal mosquito repellent formula that Matthew told us about.hPzzVm
Views: 436   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 8, 2016 5:11am
by Autumn
k
Kali
Cataracts in Dogs, Please. Help
I recently became a student at the Midwest School of Herbal Studies. I am so excited about my decision, and can't wait to embark upon this journey to learning the ins and outs of herbs:) I am currently living in Santa Cruz, my question is in behalf of my Mothe...
Views: 373   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 3, 2015 7:33am
by Kali
a
Alise
mosquito repellent
Given what we know about individual body constitutions and herbal energetics, any thoughts on formulating mosquito repellents? I am selling herbal products at a local farmers' market, and while I have my good old plantain-infused oil for a remedy, some people also as...
Views: 537   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 23, 2014 11:05am
by Alise
l
Laura
Hello and a dog question
Hi! I'm a new student here at MSHS. I'm Laura and I'm from Indiana. I just received all my materials last week! I was/am so excited and happy about that. I have a question about my dog. He is a large White German Shepherd about 8-10 years old. He has a perianal...
Views: 464   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 30, 2014 12:06pm
by Laura
Studying after 49
Hi everyone, I am in the 1st edition western herbalism program and find it extremely interesting. However, due to my age or maybe I am going too fast; but I am having a difficult time maintaining the information. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried a h...
Views: 673   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 12, 2014 1:10pm
by Bonnie Garoutte
yellow wood sorrel
With all of the rain this spring I think every 'weed' seed germinated. Perhaps 25% of my yard is yellow wood sorrel. I have been enjoying this delicious lemon tanged herb in salads, south of the border recipes and Mediterranean dishes. With the recent heat it's co...
Views: 457   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 27, 2013 2:04pm
by Alise
Pineapple-weed
I have a bumper crop of pineapple-weed, my book indicates it is used as an infusion of the summer flower head. How should I preserve this resource for winter? Is a tincture of this herb useful? Or perhaps I should just dry the flowers? Any advice from my comrades...
Views: 498   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 27, 2013 2:02pm
by Alise
Sage Identification and Usage
Can anyone tell me what kind of sage this is> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4811420493901&set=a.1882330388479.2085336.1547914329&type=1&theater How should i prepare it for usage and do i do it before it flowers?
Views: 481   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 18, 2013 10:00pm
by Identification a...
a
Alise
spring foraging/medicine-making
We are going to have a bumper crop of dandelions this year so I have been eating the leaves. The nettles are coming up and I used my first sampling of them last night for supper. When the cleavers are bigger, I am going to try them in a spring tonic recipe I found....
Views: 742   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 28, 2013 11:35am
by Erin
a
Alise
Plants in their "winter clothes"
Before I became interested in herbs, I spent more time in photography and shot nature film all year round. I like to go through my older work now to see what plants I captured on film during the winter, looking now through the eyes of both a photographer and an h...
Views: 518   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 6, 2012 9:04am
by Alise
j
Janet
horse with heaves
Hi everybody - I'm a MWSHS student from Canada, currently on vacation with my friends in PEI. Their old mare, Lady, has the heaves. Has anyone had herbal experience with this condition? Janet
Views: 561   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 27, 2012 5:32pm
by Joseph F
Sites That Carry Herbal Books of interest
Here's A few Sites That carry books that i thought would be of interest. Mostly old eclectic, Physio-medical,Nature Cure, Iridology & more most of them are downloadable in Pdf format http://www.soilandhealth.org/ http://www.swsbm.com/HOMEPAGE/HomePage.html http://ww...
Views: 569   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 22, 2012 10:18pm
by Minnesota Herbal...
Tincture as a mouth-wash
Hi! All, I wonder if this is overkill - but I had an idea to make a tincture - to use as a mouth-wash - using some leftover Sage, Lavender and Lemon peel. I made the tincture, and started using it. It seems to have an effect of whitening my teeth. My questio...
Views: 621   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 3, 2012 11:16pm
by Minnesota Herbal...
a
Alise
Herb walk
Had a great time with Matt and several other students on Sunday's herb walk at the Falcon Heights Community Park. There was a nice variety of plants and I saw some I have never seen before- Compass Plant being one of those. Although many plants were past flowering s...
Views: 500   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 10, 2012 9:47am
by Alise
Plantain removes metal splinters from finger
While away from home at an activity recently, my 15-yr-old son was playing ball with some of his friends when the ball they were playing with rolled under a wall heater. He reached back under it to retrieve it and stabbed his finger on something. It bled badly, but...
Views: 819   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 5, 2012 4:11pm
by Alise
a
Alise
Tree medicine
Well, it is the end of Feb. and I am seriously wanting to try my hand at some simple tree medicine. Is anyone savvy with this? I have been told I should collect bark when the sap is running. I looked up on-line for how to know when this is (daytime temps above free...
Views: 560   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 25, 2012 5:32pm
by Alise
Welcome!
Welcome to the Student-to-Student Message Board!
Views: 777   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 13, 2012 2:04pm
by Giovanni Riva
a
Alise
herb workshop
I went to the workshop on herbs this past Sunday and had a wonderful time. Laurie was a gracious host, and Matt is a really engaging teacher- he always has interesting stories to share and they help me remember important things about different plants. It was great...
Views: 570   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 6, 2011 1:51pm
by Alise
Herb-Workshop
I had a great time at todays Herb-workshop- always learning new things; Have to get some phillips 100 proof vodka to make my Boneset tincture next week; I was glad to finally finish the Asian Herbal course and hand it in; Just ordered the Integrative Herbalism course...
Views: 555   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 4, 2011 8:16pm
by Terry Nelson
e
Erin
Study buddy in/near Southern Illinois
Hi everyone, Just wondering if there is anyone in southern Illinois or St. Louis area in the program who needs a study buddy? Let me know if you do :) Erin
Views: 549   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 4, 2011 4:55pm
by Erin
b
bonnie
vitex agnus
hi ya'll. i read in the textbooks that vitex/chasteberry can be used to treat low progesterone levels. it says caution in pregnancy. what are appropriate situations and doses for one who has low progesterone levels and trying to sustain pregnancy? if anybody has...
Views: 528   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 26, 2011 9:12am
by Shelly
s
Shelly
I ate Nettle this Spring---Did you?
I couldn't believe it the first time our fearless teacher told us that you could eat Nettle!!??! I couldn't help but think just how hungry I'd have to be before THAT happened. Really, teacher claims that Nettle is nutritious and good. I was in no position to doubt...
Views: 568   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 17, 2011 8:07am
by Shelly
The Power of Herbs
What a great experience Yesterday at the herb walk-always enjoy looking and talking about herbs; found out something new about Stinging Nettle root- Just wanted to post something about my personal experience in the last couple of months with herbs- I've been using Sk...
Views: 571   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 14, 2011 6:07am
by Shelly
Boneset relieves lupus pain
I have been battling lupus, ankylosing spondylitis, and fibromyalgia for about 20 years. I've been able to manage them pretty well, but this weekend it was unually warm for this time of year and after being in my car with the windows down and the heat and sun baking...
Views: 594   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 13, 2011 8:48am
by Shelly
Newbee - 1st time posting
I want to say "HI" to all of the great people that I met at the recent workshop for Holistic Assestment. It has brought may things to mind for now in my day to day life & things that I need to change. This brings me to a closeness with the earth all that she has to...
Views: 574   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 29, 2011 2:42pm
by Patricia McGee
s
Shelly
Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy
Hi everyone, I want to share a formula I came up with for people on chemo with the pins and needles or tingling feeling in the fingers and toes. A relative of mine on chemo called in distress because of this feeling. She reported a 8-9 out of 10 on a discomfort le...
Views: 770   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 5, 2010 12:43pm
by Shelly
Herbal Recipes - for Oral Care
Hi! All, does anyone have any good recipes for oral care? I have one recipe that says to use sage tea (plus sea salt) as a gargle. I have recently started using that instead of Listerine! Will keep monitoring it until my next dental appointment to see how we...
Views: 816   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 5, 2010 10:55am
by Bridget Wickstro...
Herbal Walk
Just wanted to let those of you who were unable to make last Sunday's Herbal Walk that you missed out on a wonderful experience. This was my first walk with Matthew Alfs and I am a new student with the school. The park was beautiful and a lot bigger than it initially...
Views: 643   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 5, 2010 10:46am
by Bridget Wickstro...
fostering focus in clients
Some clients initially seem to lack sufficient focus to educate. They may have many issues in the beginning and have trouble remembering what they can do and why it is important (motivation). I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently. Currently, my inclin...
Views: 552   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 5, 2010 10:31am
by Bridget Wickstro...
Master Gardener ~ Presentation Ideas
Hi Fellow Students, I am a Carver-Scott Master Gardener and have been asked to give a presentation next month. The subject can be of my choosing as long as it is plant/garden related. I am posting this to get your ideas of content for my topic of choice:...
Views: 595   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 9, 2010 1:47pm
by Stefanie Klein
Comfrey Cream to Heal Proud Flesh on a Horse with Strangles
I wanted to share my experience using comfrey cream to heal the proud flesh on my rescued mare with Strangles. She is eleven years old and arrived thin with terrible hooves. And several days later she developed Strangles. Strangles is a highly contagious and s...
Views: 595   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 27, 2010 8:39pm
by Stefanie Klein
Comfrey Cream to Heal Proud Flesh on a Horse with Strangles
I wanted to share my experience using comfrey cream to heal the proud flesh on my rescued mare with Strangles. She is eleven years old and arrived thin with terrible hooves. And several days later she developed Strangles. Strangles is a highly contagious and s...
Views: 626   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 27, 2010 8:37pm
by Stefanie Klein
Mullein to Reduce Inflammation on a Horse's Hock
I wanted to share my experience using Mullein to reduce the inflammation on my rescued mare’s swollen hock (the joint between the gaskin and the cannon bone, in the rear leg). She is nine years old and arrived extremely thin with a very swollen left hock. It f...
Views: 655   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 27, 2010 1:45pm
by Stefanie Klein
n
Neelam
Natural Alternatives - Insect Repellants for yards / decks
Hi! All, Neelam again. I am contemplating the different options to keep my deck free of mosquitos. What "natural" options would you recommend. I realize having lavender repellant etc. herbs planted would be a good idea. But my deck is on the 2nd floor. So I...
Views: 635   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 16, 2010 5:57pm
by Meg
s
Shelly
a girl, a horse and a little plantain
I have a great plantain story to share. I was out playing with my yearling colt when I noticed he had a quarter-sized bleeding owie on his side. "Ah-hah, a chance to try out an herbal fix", I thought almost too gleefully! I looked at the ground around me and there...
Views: 621   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 24, 2010 8:13am
by Shelly
s
Shelly
Great workshop
Thanks for the fun and very informative Herbal Therapeutics workshop. Having the hands on experience makes learning so much easier. I can hardly wait for the herb walk! *Shelly
Views: 640   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 17, 2010 8:12am
by Shelly
Free Forum powered by Bravenet